Welcome to the Dockwalk.com Forum

In order to post a comment in one of the forum topics, you must log in or sign up. Your display name will appear next to your posts unless you check the Post Anonymously box. When writing a post, please follow our forum guidelines. If you come across a post that you would like us to review, use the Report Post button. Please note the opinions shared in the forums do not necessarily reflect the views of Dockwalk.

RSS Feed Print
What is a Safe Engineering Watch
SimonMcMullon
Posted: Saturday, July 16, 2011 5:27 PM

Having worked in yachting for several years, I have always wondered how the manning levels of yachts can conform with STCW95 requirements for a safe engineering watch. STCW95 requires a safe engineering watch both in port as well as at sea. This would imply that a sole engineer cannot leave the boat or have a day off. It would also imply that a non UMS boat would have to have an engineering officer in the Engine room 24 - 7
captpage
Posted: Tuesday, July 19, 2011 9:23 PM

You are not going to like the answer...sorry... I am a Master and CME, "once assigned and stationed on board, you as an officer and or crew are responsible for the position on board the vessel. You are not authorize any time off until you are releived of duty and depart the vessel." But as we all know that would never happen on a YACHT? Even though it may feel like it sometimes. Basicly to keep your heart and sole in the job - think of getting sometime off as a thank well earned...If you think you are owed...then you will never be happy on board... Life is not very fair when trying to make a living.
ratpack
Posted: Tuesday, July 19, 2011 9:50 PM

As an engineer I can honestly say that once employed, the boat is my baby. I don't like to leave it alone unless I have some superb crew members that are switched on, but even I need to sleep sometimes. If you are looking for STCW compliance, it will be easier to find on commercial vessels rather than private yachts.
captpage
Posted: Wednesday, July 20, 2011 1:20 AM

Hello again...if you looking for rule following and a good engineering job try NOAA FLeet of 19 vessels or UNOLS Fleet 60+ vessels. Jobs are for US personnel in NOAA and UNOLS has some international positions. Very EEO and no strange owners or guest except for scientist....most is research and very rewarding, there is a retirement, Medical....There is a need for more female Engineers..

Average 0 out of 5