Welcome to the Dockwalk.com Forum

In order to post a comment in one of the forum topics, you must log in or sign up. Your display name will appear next to your posts unless you check the Post Anonymously box. When writing a post, please follow our forum guidelines. If you come across a post that you would like us to review, use the Report Post button. Please note the opinions shared in the forums do not necessarily reflect the views of Dockwalk.

RSS Feed Print
Seaman's Discharge Book for US Citizens?
popeye
Posted: Tuesday, July 12, 2011 8:38 PM

Hello Everyone,

I am a US citizen and hold a 100-Ton Master's license with the USCG and 200-Ton Yachtmaster Offshore with the MCA.  I am trying to get a seaman's discharge book, but when I called the "USCG help center" they basically had no idea what I was talking about. 

As a US citizen, what is the best way of getting a seaman's discharge book?  Does the US even issue these, or do I need to get one from somewhere else? 

Thanks in advance for any advice you can provide!

Anonymous
Posted: Wednesday, July 13, 2011 1:53 AM
You used the wrong terminology when speaking to the USCG at the National Maritime Center. The new "red book" issued by the USCG is known as the Merchant Mariner's Credential (MMC). This is the US-equivalent of a Seaman's Discharge Book. They replace the old system of receiving a separate license and merchant mariner's document (Z-card). They are issued to personnel certified for work on vessels of 100 GT and greater. If your highest US license and/or certification is a Master of not more than 100 GT, then you do not yet qualify for the MMC. You can always apply for a seaman's book from another flag like Cayman, Marshall Islands, etc. Good luck.
rodsteel
Posted: Friday, July 15, 2011 3:41 AM

popeye wrote:
Hello Everyone,

I am a US citizen and hold a 100-Ton Master's license with the USCG and 200-Ton Yachtmaster Offshore with the MCA.  I am trying to get a seaman's discharge book, but when I called the "USCG help center" they basically had no idea what I was talking about. 

As a US citizen, what is the best way of getting a seaman's discharge book?  Does the US even issue these, or do I need to get one from somewhere else? 

Thanks in advance for any advice you can provide!

Hi Popeye,

As Anon posted the US version is now called a Merchant Mariner Credential. They no longer have pages for recording sea time.

Therefore, if that is what you require, after you get one

http://www.uscg.mil/nmc/mmc_twic_announcements.asp

Each time you are discharged from your current yacht you will need to submit one of these to the NMC to record your time with the USCG

http://www.uscg.mil/nmc/download-docs/certificate_of_discharge_fillable.pdf

Alternatively you can apply for a flag specific discharge book such as this one for Bermuda

http://www.gov.bm/portal/server.pt/gateway/PTARGS_0_2_1320_251_536_43/http%3B/ptpublisher.gov.bm%3B7087/publishedcontent/publish/ministry_of_tourism_and_transport/maritime_administration/dept___maritime_admin___seamans_forms/articles/discharge_book_application_1.pdf

or this one for the Cayman Islands

http://www.cishipping.com/portal/page?_pageid=1307,1684614&_dad=portal&_schema=PORTAL

Cheers,

Rod

Chief
Posted: Friday, July 15, 2011 3:46 PM

"They no longer have pages for recording sea time."

They never did. Sea time on small vessels is normally documented with a "sea service letter." A sample letter is available through the USCG website. The discharge form lnked does not contain the information needed for the USCG to evaluate sea time. If you have one from service on a containership or tanker the CG will accept it since they know the ship and its type of service. Using one for a small boat or yacht is a waste of everyone's time.

"Therefore, if that is what you require, after you get one ..."

No one is getting an MMC without applying for a TWIC first. You cannot hold an MMC without a TWIC. A TWIC is not a seaman's discharge book and is not a seaman's document of any kind any more than a physical exam or a drug test result. If the OP holds a 100 ton USCG license without TWIC then the license has been invalid for several years.

"This is the US-equivalent of a Seaman's Discharge Book." 

A USCG merchant mariner's document (MMD Z_card) never was the equivalent of a discharge book. It was an indentification card that listed unlicensed ratings on the back. An MMC is not a discharge book, it is a credential that identifies the mariner and lists the certifications and level of training (if any) held.

"If your highest US license and/or certification is a Master of not more than 100 GT, then you do not yet qualify for the MMC."

Anyone can apply for a Merchant Mariner's Credential. It is not a license and sea time or training is not a "qualification" required to apply for one.

Popeye, please spend some time reading the USCG and NMC website. It is your responsibility to know how to track your sea time and know how the system works. Be very very wary of the answers you get on bulletin boards. Call MPT or any other maritime school if you can't understand what the USCG or NMC has published. It is your career and your loss if you take bad advice.

popeye
Posted: Friday, July 15, 2011 9:38 PM

Thank you to all for the advice given.  I actually do have the MMC and TWIC along with my USCG 100-Ton license, but I agree with chief that the MMC is not equivalent to a seaman's discharge book.  I have been researching this for quite some time and it seems like there is not really a seaman's discharge book equivalent available through the USCG. 

I know about recording sea time through testimonials, etc and have used these many times in the past, but it seems like many of my co-workers have a discharge book in addition to that.  It looks like the answer is probably to get a discharge book from another country, as rodsteel suggested. 

Thanks again!

rodsteel
Posted: Monday, July 18, 2011 3:16 PM

Here is an older Dockwalk discussion on the subject:

http://www.dockwalk.com/essentials/docktalk.aspx?g=posts&t=30032

Rod

Average 0 out of 5