Welcome to the Dockwalk.com Forum

In order to post a comment in one of the forum topics, you must log in or sign up. Your display name will appear next to your posts unless you check the Post Anonymously box. When writing a post, please follow our forum guidelines. If you come across a post that you would like us to review, use the Report Post button. Please note the opinions shared in the forums do not necessarily reflect the views of Dockwalk.

RSS Feed Print
Antigua vs Ft Lauderdale
Hendrik
Posted: Wednesday, June 29, 2011 7:13 PM

Hi, this is my first post in what seems to be a great community. Well, I'm from South Africa about to do a course to further my chances in getting first time work as a deckhand. What I would like to enquire is, it seems the most popular place to go for work at the start of the Caribbean season is Ft Lauderdale, but Antigua, also being a major yachting hub, how viable would it be to attempt to start a crew carreer from there instead? Thanks in advance
kapt_mark
Posted: Wednesday, June 29, 2011 8:01 PM

young, single, south african, back pack, t- shirt, casio watch, no return ticket, no hotel address, no large amounts of spending money. Immigration will smell you out before you make it off the tarmac and I would be surprised if you made it out of the airport. These little islands are tough to get into. USA is a lot easier, Europe easier still.  I have had more hassles with these smaller countries than any other place, they are tough to get in, always have HUGE stamps which take up most of your post card and passport (i think they are trying to over compensate) and have been dealing with itinerant would-be yachties for decades and have heard it all before.

Captaincooker
Posted: Monday, July 4, 2011 11:31 PM

its true above. They wont even let you board your flight to Antigua unless if you have a captains letter stating your departure date and vessel etc but.. maybe if you had an onward ticket to say.. st marten... good luck

Average 0 out of 5