Dockwalk - The Essential Site For Captains And Crew - DockTalk Untitled Page

Welcome to the Forum


In order to post a comment in one of the forum topics, you must log in or sign up. Your display name will appear next to your posts unless you check the Post Anonymously box. When writing a post, please follow our forum guidelines. If you come across a post that you would like us to review, use the Report Post button. Please note the opinions shared in the forums do not necessarily reflect the views of Dockwalk.

RSS Feed Print
South African Tax Advice
Posted: Saturday, June 25, 2011 6:14 PM
Joined: 06/06/2008
Posts: 1

This seems to be a big topic across the industry at the moment, and many of the Financial Advisors out there that deal with Yachties seem very happy to take your money from you to invest, but as far as tax goes, they all say the same thing, seek expert advice!! Easier said than done! I myself have found it difficult to find an accountant willing to assist or even give advice. Having said all that, I'm hoping to get some answers on here from other South Africans, as to what, where, how, or even if they file tax returns in SA?
Posted: Sunday, June 26, 2011 5:37 PM
I file tax returns every year and declare my yachting income. In order to qualify for a tax-free status you have to be out of the country for 183 days of the year at least 60 days of which unbroken and you have to be working a formal full time job - .i.e. not dayworking. One that involves a contract or something of the kind. On the tax return there is a section you fill in called "income you deem non-taxable". This only applies if you work on a foreign flag boat in international waters. Should the foreign-flag boat visit South Africa with you on board you will be liable for taxation on that income.
Posted: Wednesday, June 29, 2011 6:46 AM
Joined: 03/06/2011
Posts: 1

Hello I'm from Croatia and I'm in yachting 6 years,before that I was professional seaman in merchant navy so I can tell you the laws in Croatia regarding tax since in most cases as officer I was working on foreign flags with STCW certificates.Before I went on board I would receive a contract from the company which I would sign prior joining the vessel,I would bring this contract and flight ticket to Harbour master office where they would put the dates of embarkation which commenced with date of flying ticket and with contract date.To be out of tax or tax free I needed to have 183 days in one year embarked on board regardless rotational contract or full year,the only important thing is in these 183 days.When I would join the vessel the captain would sign in my seamen's book with date of embarkation,after finishing my contract the captain would put the date of dissembarkation in seamen's book and I would fly back home.When I arrived home I would bring my seamen's book and discharge list to the harbour master's office and they would put discharge date in their computer and put their stamp in the seamen's book on a discharge date.These are running days spend on board for getting 183 days for current year which is relevant till 31st of December,so if you let's say get contract in August you can't get 183 days no matter how long you stay on board cause from august to december you'll have only 4 or 5 months for that year.Harbour office computer is connected with tax office and they both have these data.I also filled some kind of form with these dates spend on board and gave this to the master's office.I thing this is same thing in South Africa but you should check this with their laws in harbour master's office.Hoping this helps.
Posted: Saturday, October 15, 2011 12:01 PM
If anyone could assist me by posting a link or website whereby I can find the appropriate forms to file for tax exemption I would be most greatful, I cannot find any forms on SARS. Regards
Posted: Thursday, January 10, 2013 8:44 AM
Joined: 10/01/2013
Posts: 1

A taxpayer need to consult its Country's Tax Institution. Every country has its own Tax level, type, status and rates. In United States,  taxes are increasing this year for most consumers. But there are money other things that you can expect to shell out more for in the present year. Here we highlight five of them.

Posted: Sunday, June 9, 2013 8:48 AM

Take a look at!south-africa-/c15r9

Information on physical presence test / residency test from SARS


 Average 0 out of 5