Welcome to the Dockwalk.com Forum

In order to post a comment in one of the forum topics, you must log in or sign up. Your display name will appear next to your posts unless you check the Post Anonymously box. When writing a post, please follow our forum guidelines. If you come across a post that you would like us to review, use the Report Post button. Please note the opinions shared in the forums do not necessarily reflect the views of Dockwalk.

RSS Feed Print
Best place to be in September/October? Looking for work.
MissV
Posted: Wednesday, June 15, 2011 5:05 AM

Hi there. I am looking into returning to yachting after a few years off. I originally spent one season as a stewardess on a yacht in the Med, and am now keen to try out the Caribbean season.

My question(s) is, where is the best place to be to look for work? I know Fort Lauderdale is the obvious choice, but I would like to know all my options and their pro's and con's. Also what is the best time to be there?

I am also open to the possibility of working in the pacific, though I haven't come across much information regarding this. So any info would be fantastic!

Thanks in advance.

Stu
Posted: Thursday, June 16, 2011 3:39 AM

I am also keen to find out information about this subject. it is too late now for the med season i know but i am interested to try out the Caribbean season. anyone out there with some good info would be great.

molinator
Posted: Saturday, June 18, 2011 7:27 AM

Stick around Lauderdale from late September through November, then head down to St Maarten. Not sure what accommodation is like there, but it's your best choice. Meanwhile you can daywork and make yourself known in the yachting-circles. Alternatively, you can of course stay in Florida relying on the crew agencies. Best of luck, Lars Palma Yacht Crew (Facebook)
holly.brierley
Posted: Sunday, June 19, 2011 2:05 PM

I am in the same boat (no pun intended) and will be looking for work around September/October. Does anyone have any suggestions for the best places in Europe to go around this time? What about Antibes, Palma, Monaco? Thanks!
garyolivier
Posted: Monday, June 20, 2011 8:29 AM

Hey there, I'm also pretty much in the same boat. The advice I have been given is to go to the med as the boats mainly leave mid to end of september, hopefully you will be able to pick up work and do a crossing to the Caribbean. Haven't been able to find out exactly where to go yet but will post as soon as I find out. As far as florida is concerned, what visa will I need? I have an Irish Passport. Thanks
Anonymous
Posted: Tuesday, June 21, 2011 3:34 PM
You will need a B1/B2 visa in any case.  Very few yachts would hire you in Europe to go to the Caribbean without the B1/B2 as it would make it difficult to enter US waters, St Thomas in the US VI for example.  St Maarten is a dangerous place to be hanging around on a budget!

MissV
Posted: Monday, June 27, 2011 11:36 AM

Thanks for the interest and the replies to my post so far.

The more research I do the more comfortable I feel with my plans. I am about to apply for my B1/B2 visa, as soon as I get my passport renewed, and then plan to head to Fort Lauderdale in September and do a couple of courses, then do the rounds with the agencies, do some networking etc. No daywork for me though, as it's illegal for non-US nationals.

Very excited to be going somewhere new! Perhaps I'll bump into some of you over there

Mandy
Posted: Wednesday, June 29, 2011 3:45 AM

Hey Miss V

You're plans sound good so far.
Don't disregard dayworking so soon. Many boats will not hire people straight up and prefer to give potential crew ''a trial run'' before the actual hiring, if they are looking for permanent staff.  It is also a great opportunity for you to give the crew a trial for yourself to see if you feel comfortable with the team dynamics.

As long as the boat is not US flagged you can work on their boat.  Thats the reason the rest of us are able to work on these yachts anyway!  Plus most boats I have worked on pay cash in hand.

Hope this helps!

Average 0 out of 5