Welcome to the Dockwalk.com Forum

In order to post a comment in one of the forum topics, you must log in or sign up. Your display name will appear next to your posts unless you check the Post Anonymously box. When writing a post, please follow our forum guidelines. If you come across a post that you would like us to review, use the Report Post button. Please note the opinions shared in the forums do not necessarily reflect the views of Dockwalk.

RSS Feed Print
E.coli Outbreak in Europe!!!
Nath
Posted: Wednesday, June 1, 2011 10:46 AM

With more than 1,150 people in Europe have fallen ill from a mysterious bacterial outbreak linked to tainted vegetables, it is no surprise that i am cautious & worried about all this. Last thing i want to do is get one of my crew sick or even worse die! The last i read the death toll was at 16 & now 2 people sick in the USA. Investigators across Europe were frantically trying to determine how many vegetables were contaminated with enterohaemorrhagic E.coli — an unusual, toxic strain of the common E. coli bacterium — and where in the long journey from farm to grocery store the contamination occurred. The highly politicized mystery deepened with new evidence that German vegetables may have been contaminated by at least two strains of enterohaemorrhagic E.coli, or EHEC. So i am asking all chefs out there in the med what they are thinking about all this? I am in Italy at the moment and am going to buy all my fresh produce from the local market. i will steal a stewardess or two and get all i need here but... Has any chefs talked to thier provisions companies about where they are buying the produce from? I have emailed my provisioner and asked a few questions to see what they know but no answer just yet.. I'd really like to hear from anyone about this topic Nathan
Coop
Posted: Wednesday, June 1, 2011 6:45 PM

Nath,

I'm worried too..  I wonder what our chef has been feeding us! But, I hear if you put enough hot sauce on your food, any harmful bacteria will be neutralized and will be safe for consumption.. At least that is what I have been doing.. Oh, by the way, great dinner tonite.. Whats for breakfast tomorrow AM?

Average 0 out of 5