Welcome to the Dockwalk.com Forum

In order to post a comment in one of the forum topics, you must log in or sign up. Your display name will appear next to your posts unless you check the Post Anonymously box. When writing a post, please follow our forum guidelines. If you come across a post that you would like us to review, use the Report Post button. Please note the opinions shared in the forums do not necessarily reflect the views of Dockwalk.

RSS Feed Print
AV/IT Recognised training/courses
nomad
Posted: Sunday, May 22, 2011 10:41 AM

Young engineer looking to specialize in AV/IT. High skills but self taught to date and wanting advice on what courses are recognised by Captains. Any tips and pointers would be greatly appreciated.
Jure
Posted: Monday, April 16, 2012 10:59 PM

Similar question on my part, at least for IT. Are Comptia certificates recognised in yachting industry as relevant? I'm asking primarily because these ones would be the easiest to obtain for showing in CV some formal proof of already gained IT skills, in meaning they are by far cheapest and don't require attending classes and lectures, only taking controlled and authorized exams based on previous work experience and self study. Cisco and Microsoft certificates are pretty much more costly and time consuming because of mandatory classes, and beside those two, I'm not sure is there any need for Linux skills out there, LPIC or RHCE. Maybe it is a silly question but frankly I don't have a clue what you guys operate out there, and where the accent really is, server-network-security-something else? Also, out of pure curiosity, searching through net I have noticed there is quite a trend of getting 2nd engineers aboard yachts in range 40 to 55 perhaps up to 60m that are primarily covering IT/AV and more or less electricity and electronis but not being exactly ETOs but MCA minimally licensed yacht engineers. Would that be correct observation?

Adrian Montgomery
Posted: Monday, July 2, 2012 4:23 AM

Hey guys,
Im looking at studying with these guys in the coming months

www.bondtm.com

Check out their site under services/training. So far its the only course I can find that is affordable and appropriate. I was going to add a thread calling for interest in the level 1 IT course in October as they need a minimum number to attend.
I can only see it as being great upskilling and something that captains will recognise as beneficial to the yacht.

Come join in Oct 3-4 Amsterdam!

Evgenii
Posted: Thursday, July 5, 2012 10:34 AM

Absolutely agree,those guys are within this industry.Check their article about ETO http://goo.gl/ycZ12

Average 0 out of 5