Welcome to the Dockwalk.com Forum

In order to post a comment in one of the forum topics, you must log in or sign up. Your display name will appear next to your posts unless you check the Post Anonymously box. When writing a post, please follow our forum guidelines. If you come across a post that you would like us to review, use the Report Post button. Please note the opinions shared in the forums do not necessarily reflect the views of Dockwalk.

RSS Feed Print
do french chefs have a bad reputation ?
jeanphim
Posted: Sunday, May 15, 2011 5:41 PM

I'm french chef, trained with diplomas and everything... I have worked many years around the world in hotels and resorts (irleland, US, spain, Oz, Costa Rica, St Lucia). I'm now trying to get into the yachting industry, it doesn't seam so easy when you have no relations in the biz. The only interview i got... the man said "well you are a nice person and are fit for the job, but the owner had a few issues with some french chefs before, sooo..." So what is it... I know there are a lot of these chefs out there, snooty, rude, arrogant .... I'm nothing like that, but it looks like the attitude of some my fellow countrymen is compromising my chances... What can I do...
amira
Posted: Tuesday, May 17, 2011 6:52 AM

Wow... that's a tough one. I will agree that it's difficult to get your foot in the door in this industry. I know that all it takes is that first job, working for at least 2 seasons to get the ball rolling but no one wants to give you that first chance.

In your case, I have one suggestion for you. Persistence and self confidence can make the difference for you in a case like this. You can tell the Captain that you understand there's possibly been trouble with French chefs in the past but you can honestly assure them that they won't be sorry they hire you. You can tell him/her that  you'll do whatever it takes to succeed and you're ready to prove it. This is really all the advice I can give you. You can't give up if a Captain says something that really has nothing to do with you as an individual. So unless you feel like you're an difficult French chef, you have to separate yourself from your countrymen who have bad reputations. Just remember, if you make this promise to a Captain, you really do have to keep it .

Good luck

Anonymous
Posted: Tuesday, May 17, 2011 8:23 PM
French Chef's don't have a bed rep. It is just hard to get that first job. Remember that you will have NO staff to assist you. Yacht chefs provision, clean, prep, do ALL the dishes, cook for crew mostly and need to come up with 365 different meals all while not getting sea-sick. The interior staff are not yours to utilize. The transition from a Restaurant environment to Yachts is very difficult for most Land Based chefs and potential employers know this. Once you get your foot in the door and prove yourself worthy of the $$ most Chefs think their worth you will be fine. Good luck. We all love good food and need to eat !!

Average 0 out of 5