Welcome to the Dockwalk.com Forum

In order to post a comment in one of the forum topics, you must log in or sign up. Your display name will appear next to your posts unless you check the Post Anonymously box. When writing a post, please follow our forum guidelines. If you come across a post that you would like us to review, use the Report Post button. Please note the opinions shared in the forums do not necessarily reflect the views of Dockwalk.

RSS Feed Print
Is it worth training for the big-boat tickets?
obi-1
Posted: Sunday, April 24, 2011 7:14 PM

I have OOW Chief mate 3000, which I gained in 2007. I have been continuously building sea time and experience towards attaining Master 3000. Of course this takes a lot of time depending on the yacht itinerary. I am considering switching from the yacht training route, using my accumulated sea service time, to study for the OOW Unlimited ticket by correspondence modular training. Is it worth it?
Anonymous
Posted: Monday, April 25, 2011 3:15 AM
In all honesty no, in my experience large yachts are no better to work on than pint sized ones. Having said that larger tickets do open more doors and lead towards commercial style employment conditions which enable people to extend their seagoing careers. Larger yachts anchor out more often and if your willing to cope with larger crew numbers and problems associated with that go for it, especially if you plan to become Captain and set the standard. I made the jump to giga yachts two years ago and lets just say I am disappointed with professional standards.
obi-1
Posted: Tuesday, May 3, 2011 3:16 AM

I value your opinion. A commercial ticket would certainly open more doors. I think I may just be lured in by all the rotational positions on offer. I hadn't considered that such a large crew may be difficult to deal with or be lacking professional standards to follow. I am keen to set a standard, although not a captain yet, I may just continue to get the Master 3000 and ask this question in a few years time!

Average 0 out of 5