Welcome to the Dockwalk.com Forum

In order to post a comment in one of the forum topics, you must log in or sign up. Your display name will appear next to your posts unless you check the Post Anonymously box. When writing a post, please follow our forum guidelines. If you come across a post that you would like us to review, use the Report Post button. Please note the opinions shared in the forums do not necessarily reflect the views of Dockwalk.

RSS Feed Print
payraise
Captaincooker
Posted: Sunday, April 10, 2011 11:20 PM

ive been onboard the same yacht for almost four years now and im very confident the owners are very happy with my cooking. i have had one raise after i asked the captain after 2 yrs onboard, but now feel that i should ask the owner. or at least ask to 're-negotiate' my contract. Id love to hear other experienced yacht chefs stories of how they got their payraises and what you think i could realisticly ask for.. and any tips on how to go about it. im aware of crewsalary.com and ive heard of other chefs earning 7,000+ euros p/m.
gatmow
Posted: Wednesday, April 13, 2011 6:44 AM

Go to the captain with a solid argument for why you deserve a salary increase. NOT THE OWNER.
amira
Posted: Wednesday, April 13, 2011 7:16 AM

I would suggest not going to the owner with your request unless they hired  you directly. Generally, you should speak with the Captain.

You should also check out what the average salary is for the size vessel you work on; the salary you quoted is for a larger mega-yacht so you should make sure you have the right information before asking for an augmentation in your salary. If you work on a 100 foot yacht you won't be making 7000EU a month.

nicbarratt
Posted: Wednesday, April 13, 2011 7:24 AM

I would definately ask the Captain only. Regardless of the size of the yacht standard pay rates on websites are only a guide. There is not set charter in yachting employment quite frankly. You should think about your contribution to the yacht and the galley and then if you want to go ahead ask between 5-10% extra. State your position confidently, 4 years of service and only one pay rise is a more than fair contribution on your part.
Malcy
Posted: Wednesday, April 13, 2011 8:41 AM

I have to agree with the general consensus, however I would need to know if you are working private or charter. This obviously impacts on your level of salary and gratuities which tend to be higher on charter, although your salary would usually be higher on private. You mention "the owners", so I am assuming it's private? The captain is certainly the person to speak to. If you were land based, and don't get any joy re a negotiated rise, then current advice would be to look for alternative employment on a yacht that suits your income aspirations. This of course, does not guarantee a happy galley! There are so many subjective issues which only you can evaluate in your decision making. Bueno viaje Malcy
Anonymous
Posted: Wednesday, April 13, 2011 7:05 PM
It astounds me that the yachting industry seems to be completely be immune to inflation around the world when it comes to salaries. Each year salaries should be kept in line with the average inflation rises in the area the yacht operates. Every other job i have had or known of seems to follow this rule, but not yachting. I would ask the captain directly for a pay rise based on performance and longevity in this position, and would be prepared to move on if a raise is turned down. Good luck.
simongb-N2
Posted: Wednesday, April 13, 2011 8:23 PM

Go to the Captain, he was the one that gave you the last raise. You should heed the advice here about relative pay of others on similar size Yachts before you go asking for another raise. Also think about the last time you got a raise, was it substantial or just enough to appease you. Did it come straight from the Cap or did he/she have to check with the owners/managers ? If it came straight from the Captain and you have a good relationship with him/her you may want to just feel the waters out.

Ask yourself, if you were the Captain does the Chef deserve a pay raise ? While the Captain is responsible for the safety of the yacht etc, he is still managing the owners money and has a budget that may be set by the owner's or him. Also if you have a contract, how many reviews are in it ? If you have no review periods in their,  use this as a talking point without asking directly for a raise.

You just want to know how you are doing, if the Captain and owners are happy with your performance and effort, is there more that you can do for them.

I  have to disagree with Mr Anonymous and pay ashore:
"Each year salaries should be kept in line with the average inflation"

While this may seem fair and is much the case in a stable economy, this is not so ashore in many industries right now. A lot of people are just happy to have a job and may even be working for less or have less hours. I am not saying this is right, just the reality of the moment.

Think about the other crew. If it is a large yacht, do crew get laid off at the end of a season or kept on, small crew, do they do extra work off season or do you get day workers.

How about the owners, if you have been there 4 years I assume you have a good idea where their money comes from, their business, or industry. Might want to check into that. If they are having a bumper time in the down turn, well great. But if not, your request may fall on deaf ears and raise other questions you would rather not have raised.

Remember, just because they own a Yacht does not mean they are raking it in, and their outgoings are usually more fixed than they would like. Once you ask you have planted a seed, good or bad.

Lots to think about.

Captaincooker
Posted: Tuesday, May 10, 2011 8:50 PM

Thank you all very much for your thoughts! Yes definately alot of factors to consider. i appreciate all points mentioned. I guess im just at a point where im looking for a new challenge after four years onboard. We do charter, but this coming season have nothing booked.. a reason to look for new opportunities. Its a 40m motor yacht and im pretty sure the 'owners' are doing pretty well.. there is talk of upsizing. I guess i was just looking to hear some radical entertaining stories of chefs threatening to quit for more money.. haha Im not seeing alot of jobs posted for 40m+ at the moment.. guess most chefs are sitting tight. happy cooking and sailing to you all.

Average 0 out of 5