Welcome to the Dockwalk.com Forum

In order to post a comment in one of the forum topics, you must log in or sign up. Your display name will appear next to your posts unless you check the Post Anonymously box. When writing a post, please follow our forum guidelines. If you come across a post that you would like us to review, use the Report Post button. Please note the opinions shared in the forums do not necessarily reflect the views of Dockwalk.

RSS Feed Print
injured on the job
clrusher
Posted: Friday, April 8, 2011 4:12 PM

Hey everybody, My friend recently got hurt on the job and was wondering other peoples experiences with injuries on the boat and compensation, job security, and what happens if it cant be fixed right away. What rights do we have as employees of yachts and what recourse are we entitled to? Thanks
MatrixLloyd.com
Posted: Sunday, April 10, 2011 10:39 AM

Hi there. Thanks for your question. Contrary to popular belief, there is no automatic right to compensation in the event of injury. You may have a claim against your employer if your employer has been negligent in some way. Given the Flag State rules and regulations covering safety which should be adhered to, any negligence should be relatively easy to identify. The yacht should be insured against such eventualities. Your friend should take this up with boat's captain and manager. Benjamin Maltby, matrixLloyd™.
Anonymous
Posted: Thursday, November 15, 2012 10:35 AM
Hallo, I was injured while at work, it has been three months now, and I haven't seen a penny, is the insurance waiting for me to recover in order to pay? what if it takes two more months? Are they fooling me??? Shall I seek legal aid? I shall be around Antibes soon. Thank you for any possible help.
Anonymous
Posted: Sunday, November 18, 2012 2:44 AM
All seaman/crew are entitled to "maintenance and cure" ie to get you as physically well as
you are going to get. In US it is covered under the Jones Act. The recompense for wages is ridiculously
low under this act, which is why if the company does not do right by you most seaman get a Jones Act lawyer. My understanding for
British/foreign seaman are entitled to medical bills covered and wages until such time as they are deemed cured, or
as good as they are going to get.

Average 0 out of 5