Welcome to the Dockwalk.com Forum

In order to post a comment in one of the forum topics, you must log in or sign up. Your display name will appear next to your posts unless you check the Post Anonymously box. When writing a post, please follow our forum guidelines. If you come across a post that you would like us to review, use the Report Post button. Please note the opinions shared in the forums do not necessarily reflect the views of Dockwalk.

RSS Feed Print
How can I land my first job ?
Posted: Monday, March 28, 2011 10:29 PM

I am looking to work in the yatching industry as I love the water and travel. I am currently taking a semester off from college and could really use some advice on how to break into the bussiness. I have no experience. I am 21 years old, amitious, and willing to work hard. Where do I begin?
rodsteel
Posted: Tuesday, March 29, 2011 12:02 AM

Here is a good basic thread on this topic (there are many more threads on this site under "advice" and "getting started")

http://www.dockwalk.com/Essentials/DockTalk.aspx?g=posts&t=37398

Enjoy,

Rod

Anonymous
Posted: Tuesday, March 29, 2011 5:09 AM
How about if you only plan to be around for a semester, dont even bother. . you will not get hired on a boat, maybe do some daywork. . thats about it. . not even worth it. . maybe try McDonalds
Posted: Tuesday, March 29, 2011 6:13 AM

im not planning on going back to school but thanks ill take your advice into account. i would really appreciate more helpful advice on how to actually get started because i'm truly interested and would take people with any kind of experience words gladly.
Anonymous
Posted: Saturday, April 2, 2011 7:02 AM
I just entered yachting 6 weeks ago and have been successful so far so I will tell you what I did. Last fall I came to fort Lauderdale and did my stcw95 course. This is very important and you need it. I did some daywork and I flew home for a few months to settle up my house and obligations. Then in mid February I came back with my polished CV, certificates, 3 reference letters from my previous land based jobs along with contact info all ready to go. I started dockwalking every morning, you have to go early, before 8 as that's when people start work, so it's best to be on the docks at 7-730. I had professional business cards, and I went to all the boats and started chatting. People are mostly very nice and respect your efforts to get a job. Some are rude but let it go. Bring cvs because you never know, I was hired on my 3rd day dockwalking as a 3rd stew and have been working ever since. That is rare but chance prefers the prepared mind. Do your research, learn the knots, the lingo and learn about yachts how they are described, who makes them, so you can get through a conversation. Agencies are important to contact to start building a relationship with them, however they have no interest placing someone who's never worked. There are too Many qualified people they can choose from. Your first job with be from meeting people face to face, through friends you make, dockwalking or at yachty bars. First job is about getting out there and working all day everyday to find a job. Above all I found that an outgoing positive personality is your surefire way to making it. Be a quick learner, have common sense and don't cause drama, and your good. again I am very new and I am not suggesting this method i describe is the ultimate best way, but it worked for me! Good luck! Wish you the best.
Kelley
Posted: Saturday, April 2, 2011 4:39 PM

This week has been my first week in the yachting industry. I work for JM Family on the Gallant Lady. My advice from my three month long interview is minimal because it is the only yachting experience I really have other than this past week of learning the boat. I recently was discharged honorably from the Marine Corps and decided I wanted to work on the water. I have a passion for the water and fishing so its a bonus working on the water. The guy who posted up above is right if your just wanting to work for a semester you probably should wait till your done with school to start. He didnt need to be a smartass about it though. I only have a few suggestions but I hope they help.
-Make sure your clean cut. Noone wants to hire someone who looks like they are a hippie or live on the street.
-Your gonna live in close quarters, be ready for that. Make sure you can handle testosterone flying around in those spaces.
-Work your ass off and show you are willing to do that. Dont ask about your holidays or how much vacation your gonna get. You WILL get it, so dont worry about it. I personally could work 365 days a year and not care. I have loved ones that I would like to spend time with and all but I am doing something I love. I dont wake up and think shit I have to go to work. I am excited to work on the water so really its not a job to me.
-If you have no experience its ok I had none and I landed and outstanding job. Squeaky wheel gets the grease. Show them you are interested in the job. Dont be obnoxious but dont be afraid to call.
- STCW is very important. I did not have one, but its a big help when trying to get a job in this industry. My boat sends me to the class which i start on Monday.
         If you have anymore questions feel free to message me. I am new to this so maybe I can help where I can. Good luck getting a job!

Anonymous
Posted: Sunday, April 3, 2011 4:28 AM
U can tell that u r new to this industry when u post what boat u work on n also who owns this is biggest no no in the industry most boats make u sign confidentiality agreements when u start in regards to owners n guest.. Here is thought how about ppm wanting to get I to this industry do more then just your stcw have a passion for being on the water not just want a free ride around the world , go work on any boat or just go out sailing acquire some sea time n knowledge before stepping into this industry which is suspossed to be a professional one but is becoming less n less due to the ppl coming into it because it seems like a little bit of fun... If u want to get a start u should already know how to make it happen if u r serious do your research know where to go what courses to do.. This industry and it's standards are being brought down because of to many ppl after a good time and who aren't in it to make a career of it!!!!
junior
Posted: Sunday, April 3, 2011 9:03 PM

Not everyone is so insecure that they must hide behind anonymous when posting comon sense thoughts. . Kelley's response was straight forward, honest, informative and in no way comprimised the owner of whatever the name of his yacht was. Fair winds and have a good watch Kelley
Anonymous
Posted: Sunday, March 3, 2013 6:50 PM

This may be of great help: "Super Yachting: The Beginners Guide." Just published in February 2013 and full of useful advice. Worth downloading, available on Amazon and Smashwords. Links below.

Good luck with it all! happy 

http://www.amazon.co.uk/SUPER-YACHTING-BEGINNERS-GUIDE-ebook/dp/B00BIHRZZ2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1362335659&sr=8-1  

http://www.amazon.com/SUPER-YACHTING-BEGINNERS-GUIDE-ebook/dp/B00BIHRZZ2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1362335756&sr=8-1&keywords=super+yachting  

http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/287672  

Average 0 out of 5