Welcome to the Dockwalk.com Forum

In order to post a comment in one of the forum topics, you must log in or sign up. Your display name will appear next to your posts unless you check the Post Anonymously box. When writing a post, please follow our forum guidelines. If you come across a post that you would like us to review, use the Report Post button. Please note the opinions shared in the forums do not necessarily reflect the views of Dockwalk.

RSS Feed Print
SEAMANS BOOK URGENTLY NEEDED!
Tiago Balsini
Posted: Sunday, March 13, 2011 9:10 AM

Hi all, I am onboard 86 mts charter yacht in Abu Dhabi working like a Sous Chef and I am Italian citizenship. I am onboard for one week and the captain said: you need a seamans book urgently or you can not stay onboard this vessel. We go to France next week and he tell me he can wait we arrive overthere. But I am very worry because I don t now where I will do the seamans book. Somebody please help me to find a solution for this problem please. The boat is MALTA flag.. Please somebody help me with some information.. Tiago
Cizealin
Posted: Sunday, March 13, 2011 10:35 AM

I don't understand why this should be now so suddenly urgent. Remember you have certain rights as you are already employed on your vessel. You need to contact the Italian authorities direct as you are Italian citizenship to apply, possibly with a letter from your Captain. Try searching on Google IT for Libretto di Navigazionze or Registro della Gente di Mare and you may find this could be done online. Hope this helps you.
Chief
Posted: Sunday, March 13, 2011 10:52 AM

Go to the source ...  Malta

Your captain seems to be lacking a bit of something besides management skills. Try and find another boat when you get to the Med.

http://www.dca.gov.mt/ContactUs.aspx?lid=1

chrismlewis
Posted: Tuesday, March 15, 2011 8:47 PM

Chief is right. best place to get your book is from the flag state. some countries will also give their citizens discharge books, mine is from the UK even though i have never worked on a UK flagged boat. they all take some time to process though, so better get the process started. Why your Captain did not simply hand you the right form and tell you to fill it out is a different question...

Average 1 out of 5