Welcome to the Dockwalk.com Forum

In order to post a comment in one of the forum topics, you must log in or sign up. Your display name will appear next to your posts unless you check the Post Anonymously box. When writing a post, please follow our forum guidelines. If you come across a post that you would like us to review, use the Report Post button. Please note the opinions shared in the forums do not necessarily reflect the views of Dockwalk.

RSS Feed Print
ds-160 form help
mattacusblack
Posted: Saturday, March 12, 2011 4:26 PM

Hi, To get an interview at the US embassy i need to fill out a ds-160 form, i started this but am stuck on the section about travel arrangements. I said i had no set plans to visit the US, that my reason for wanting a b1/b2 is that most yachts require one to even apply for a job and i will need one if i enter us waters by yacht. How can i fill out the form that says, when are you planning on visiting? where will you be staying etc? it wont let me leave it blank and i have no answer to put here?! Anyone done this before that can help? Thanks Matt
Anonymous
Posted: Wednesday, March 16, 2011 4:53 AM
hi Matt, well I got my first one in Sydney Australia, and everyone will have a different story to tell, but when I did it I put what you said, that the majority of yachts want you to have it before you can even apply for the job, INCASE they are going to be ''cruising temporarily in US waters''. I also stated that I had no intention of visiting the US in the forseeable future and had no problem... possibly print out some jobs that have been advertised with the visa being a pre-req and take it to your interview to support what you are saying... good luck, and remember, the visa still does not guarantee entry at a US border. Todd
mattacusblack
Posted: Wednesday, March 16, 2011 4:34 PM

Thanks Todd. I have since been offered a job sailing from Japan to alaksa and down the coast. However the captain is in china sailing and does not have letter headed paper so he sent me an email with the yachts call sign and number as well as the itinary and states i will be working as crew. do you think an email printed out will suffice? It has his contact details if they have doubts but eveyone else seems to have letter headed paper and official boat papers etc... I now have ENG1, STCW Certificate, this email from captain, 2 references (one marine based and one land based) , my resume and a letter from my parents saying i have ties here, etc family, i pay rent, bank account etc. I know they are an unpredictable bunch but do you think i will be ok with this? thanks

Average 0 out of 5