Welcome to the Dockwalk.com Forum

In order to post a comment in one of the forum topics, you must log in or sign up. Your display name will appear next to your posts unless you check the Post Anonymously box. When writing a post, please follow our forum guidelines. If you come across a post that you would like us to review, use the Report Post button. Please note the opinions shared in the forums do not necessarily reflect the views of Dockwalk.

RSS Feed Print
Why they Call it Marlboro Canal ?!!!
Meesa Egypt
Posted: Wednesday, March 9, 2011 7:03 AM

Hi All , Why many Crew Call suez Canal Marlboro Canal ?transiting suez canal , its normal and safe 100 % With regards to all comments I have seen regarding cigarettes and call suez canal Marlboro Canal !!!! I know there is many open mind and well educated crew and they must ask them self Why was Revolution in Egypt ? 1- poverty 2- unemployments 3- democracy , thats why some poor mooring people they ask ships and yachts Crew for Marlboro cigarets of course its wrong , but if you look to the salary of suez canal mooring people monthly almost 100 USD amonth ( one hundred USD per month !!! ) this mooring people have families ! how to pay for their families ! Egypt will go better and better because after revolution succeed all Egypt will change to the best , have you see the egyptian during revolution on CNN OR BBC NEWS OR France 24 ? the whole world is proud by Egyptian people for what they done for their country . did you know that uk and usa want to educate their people at US and UK schools about this revolution in Egypt so they know how people in Egypt loves their country . I promise you within one to two year suez canal is getting better and no body will ask any Yachts crew for cigarettes anymore ! by the way , i was captain one day , people ask for cigarettes also in china , turkey , malta . please just think why it happens ? we all onboard getting good salary but we do not think about others and why they ask for cigarettes ? we all humans and we live in same world . NB , Please ask any one was tourist and did visit egypt and seen pyramids & sphinx , ask him about Egypt and Egyptian , am sure his reply is he was happy and Egyptian people are very kind . Egypt is one of the biggest tourist country all over the world with history of more than 7000 years ! kind regards Meesa Egypt www.meesayachts.com Suez Canal Yacht Agent email : info@meesaegypt.com
Anonymous
Posted: Saturday, March 12, 2011 1:50 AM
[Comment removed by moderator] Workers on the so called Marlboro Canal are downright theives, will steal anything that is not nailed down, will ask for 4 cartons of M lights as they are greedy,
you think that in years to come things will change ...absolute garbage.

Anonymous
Posted: Saturday, March 12, 2011 2:03 AM
That's all great, "if you don't ask, you don't get". I can relate to the fact that they are wanting to improve their income. No problem with that. What I do have a problem with is that if the yachts don't give them the cigarettes or the booze these people will do everything possible to delay the yachts transit. And that is in my opinion not correct. Nor should they make us feel guilty if we choose not to hand out anything. I'd say it is up to the crews discretion and it shouldn't become a MUST DO. I'd like to compare it to tipping. If you're happy with the service you receive you'll leave a tip. And yes, I have been to Egypt as a tourist and seen friendly Egyptians. But I also have seen a lot of Egyptians squeezing the dollars out of the tourists for nothing special in return. I welcome the thought that Egypt wants to be more democratic, can't wait to see the day that the Egyptians start to treat their women with respect and give them equal rights.

Average 0 out of 5