Welcome to the Dockwalk.com Forum

In order to post a comment in one of the forum topics, you must log in or sign up. Your display name will appear next to your posts unless you check the Post Anonymously box. When writing a post, please follow our forum guidelines. If you come across a post that you would like us to review, use the Report Post button. Please note the opinions shared in the forums do not necessarily reflect the views of Dockwalk.

RSS Feed Print
Australian hired as Captain on US Flagged boat
petelimo
Posted: Saturday, March 5, 2011 2:11 AM

Hi,

My dilemma is that i have been in contact with a family of a boat for almost 12 months. We have built a good relationship and the owner only wants me to Captain his vessel. Now being Australian obviously i can not work on a US flagged boat. Is this totally correct? What are the other options to make this work?

Anonymous
Posted: Saturday, March 5, 2011 4:47 AM
If he likes you so much, get him to change the flag to Cayman or Marshall Islands. His choice of red or blue color. Problem solved.
amira
Posted: Saturday, March 5, 2011 5:33 AM

He can probably sponsor you as an employee but he would have to sign for you and it would cost something like a thousand dollars or so. I'm sure he has a lawyer that can take care of that. I was offered sponsorship as a chef for a hotel in the US and the pay was far lower than you would make as a captain so I would suggest you check that possibility.

rodsteel
Posted: Saturday, March 5, 2011 5:39 AM

For a private US flagged yacht, I believe the restriction only applies while the yacht is in US waters (something about senior crew have to be US citizens or green-card holders).

You could set up a rotation system so that you were only in charge while outside US waters?

Rod

petelimo
Posted: Saturday, March 5, 2011 4:57 PM

We have gone through every possible scenario with immigration lawyers already. Only could they sponsor me if i had a Bachelors degree of some sought or the equivalent in years served in an industry.

We tried the Foreign Flag obviously the easiest option, although his bank which it is financed under will not take foreign collateral.  We are really stumped, although i do like the option of only in command outside US waters.  I did read about senior crew need to be US Citizens or Visa holders.

rodsteel
Posted: Saturday, March 5, 2011 8:34 PM

There is a category of yachts (private only - no charter, while in US waters) that are "documented but uninspected" that does not seem to require US crew (go to chapter 26 and look at the end of table 26-1). There also seems to be a 200 ton "limit" on some regulations.

http://www.uscg.mil/directives/cim/16000-16999/CIM_16000_8B.pdf

Rod

P.S. If you are not married there is another solution. Fall in love with a US national, get married and get "imported" - only takes 18 to 24 months (but then you have other problems )

Anonymous
Posted: Saturday, March 5, 2011 8:54 PM
There is actually an even easier way, Marry a U.S national with a Captain's license. That's what my husband did.
yachtgoat06
Posted: Saturday, March 5, 2011 10:06 PM

Curious to see the answers to this. I know a NZ national that runs 2 boats for an American family, both US flagged. One boat goes to the BVI's for the winter and the other stays home. I think he is just doing it illegally as he is constantly flying the Bahamas when he is in the States to renew his Visa, so I am guessing he is not sponsored. Seems kind of sketchy to me?
Anonymous
Posted: Sunday, March 6, 2011 12:08 AM
I know.. hire me as the Captain. I am US and you can stay on the dock! I am worth the 1k per foot per year and actually speak english. Dilemma solved
petelimo
Posted: Sunday, March 6, 2011 4:06 PM

Thanks Rod. I'll have a read. We never thought it was going to be this hard.

As far as Marrying an American national......i might take a rain check......for now

Anonymous
Posted: Tuesday, March 8, 2011 10:44 AM
Outside breaking the law, your only choice is to attain American residency or get an appropriate work permit. Either of which takes time, money and sponsorship. There are no magic tricks or swindles that can be made when your dealing with immigration, homeland security, the FBI and if you owner is unaware or unwilling to sort the immigration issue out for you and wait several months to a year for your paper work to go through forget it. I became an American through marriage and regret leaving Australia, take my advice stick to the foreign flagged yachts, take advantage of the Australian governments lacks tax system.

Average 0 out of 5