Welcome to the Dockwalk.com Forum

In order to post a comment in one of the forum topics, you must log in or sign up. Your display name will appear next to your posts unless you check the Post Anonymously box. When writing a post, please follow our forum guidelines. If you come across a post that you would like us to review, use the Report Post button. Please note the opinions shared in the forums do not necessarily reflect the views of Dockwalk.

RSS Feed Print
insight please
otunac
Posted: Sunday, February 13, 2011 9:23 PM

hi guys!

Hope one of you out there can give me some insight on my questions!

I am currently in london finishing up my degree but i am crazy for a life changing experience I am looking into getting a job in a yacht as a stewardess.

thing is I am brazilian... I am worried about visas and where it would be better to find work. as i am right now i dont mind caribbean, australia or med.

I have great hospitality experience in well known venues in London . and i am hard working and i know i can do this job very well.

please if you have any suggestions... post them. I appreciate it. cheers

Henning
Posted: Monday, February 14, 2011 4:18 AM

I'd be interested to know what kind of "Life Changing Experience" you expect to get from the yacht industry?

What is it about yachting that entices you? For a seaman visas can always be worked out one way or another.

BTW, Look down in the "How do I get a job with zero experience" thread in this forum as well as other similar threads, there's a lot of information already been published here.

otunac
Posted: Monday, February 14, 2011 10:51 AM

Hi Henning!

First of all thanks for taking the time!

Well , I am aware that working on a yacht means long hours, hard work and all. but i do that already and it doesnt put me off at all.

What I would like to gain from work on a yacht is the experience of traveling and meeting different people( guests and crew). Things I couldnt do otherwise. Learn new skills and you know be out there. get a chance to explore the world and make a career out of it. which is completely different from my no frills life in London at the moment.

I have been doing a lot of research on the internet and I am getting contradictory view on visas.

For example, I read in a forum that is possible to work on a yacht in europe if one has the schengen visa. others say no. that its ilegal. I guess this visa is just like the B1/B2. From my reasearch all crew visas are not working visas but they allow crew mulltiple entries and i guess the right to carry on their duties on the boats.

some say that visa doesnt matter. what matters is the flag of the boat. others say simply you cant get a job till you get a visa but you need a job to get a visa. how helpful is that?

You can see why i am confused.

I will check the " no experience" forum.

thanks again. hope life is good wherever you are.

Henning
Posted: Monday, February 14, 2011 11:23 AM

I am in Singapore and life is boring and expensive LOL.

If scrubbing toilets and learning to fold the end of a toiletpaper roll, making beds, cleaning stains out of everything, polishing fingerprints off of everything is the type of "new skills" you are looking to acquire, you will be in great luck. You will meet people and be forced to live with them in very close quarters whether you like them or not. You will get to travel to exotic places very slowly while being bounced around and beaten up by the boat, hopefully without throwing up, but even if you aren't, rest assured, you will be cleaning up other peoples vomit. As for "no frills", life doesn't get more "no frills" than life on a yacht. Your "space will be your bunk and a small locker in a cabin that's 3Mx2M that you will share with someone else that you may or may not like and that may or may not snore.

The life of a yachtie, especially a stew, is the life of a servant. You may be onboard a boat in fantastic places, but you'll rarely get the chance to enjoy those places, and the yacht is NOT yours to enjoy. It is your job to maintain it and keep it clean. One of the crew agencies has on their web page a gal in a lounge chair on a beach. This will be a person you are working for, this will NOT be you. When you do have "down time" you will often be in some place that you don't really want to be in the middle of the industrial sector while some work is being performed on the boat, or anchored out in the middle of nowhere to save on dockage expenses. You may or may not be allowed to have a relationship onboard and that is whether or not there is even someone you want to have a relationship with available to you that wants one with you. This is a very hard lifestyle to have a relationship in. It is often a lonely life.

This is not to say that there aren't good points to the industry, it pays well and if you want, and you are on the right boat with the right captain, there is a chance to further yourself as a seaman if being at sea is where you want to be. If you don't want to be at sea and on a boat, it's a reasonably horrid and boring lifestyle.

As for the Visa issue, I have never hired a Brazillian for Europe, so I don't know what requirements are there of if a Schengen Visa is even applicable to you. There are plenty of threads under this, the Getting Started and other headings here that cover that topic quite thoroughly, so do some reading there and hopefully you'll be able to sort it out.

Again, don't want to scare you away from the industry, just want you to go in with your eyes open. You have spent a lot of time and money earning a degree, it would be a shame to totally waste it. What is your degree in?

Miki Brettschneider
Posted: Wednesday, February 16, 2011 2:11 PM

if you have the time and finaces I would first think and hear what people hear are telling you what the life on a yacht is like (its true what they tell you),if you still want the experiance then go for it.Then you need to visit the American consulate in your area and talk to people there about getting yourself a B1/B2 visa, then getyourself to the US for some STCW training it will get you the training needed to work on a yacht, then you look for a job as a stew, in the US (Fort lauderdale) and the Med there are lots of crew agencies or you could after having done the STCW do some dock walking, get your CV make lots of copies and go ask for work on the yachts in the marinas. The best places to dock walk is Antibes and Fort lauderdale. Wish you all the best,and have fun
Anonymous
Posted: Wednesday, February 16, 2011 5:42 PM
You have made it sound awful Henning..... well done. Not everyone has the same experiences. A lot of what you say is true, if you work on a charter yacht. However, private yachts are a lot more relaxed normally. I happen to have 2 days off a week, where ever we are, I work with my girlfriend and we have a lovely double cabin! Can't help you with the visa issue, i think you should consult a professional and avoid forums....
otunac
Posted: Wednesday, February 16, 2011 10:05 PM

@ Henning! well you painted quite a picture there! I have been on a small yacht before where my ex worked. the crew  is small.  And i have met a lot of people that do it and they pointed out thats hard and all,,, but the money is good and they do get to have a life... limited but still. so i am aware of all of that. and i am a servant in london as it is at the moment and not for big bucks. and to answer your question my degree is in accountancy.. actually to be a charttered accountant. also thank you for refering me to the other sessions of the forum as i actually found two brazilians enquiring about visas as well. one is in the caribbean and the other is in Greece. And they both said they have no problems moving around. taht was the idea in coming to the forum.. find someone that is in the same situation. awaiting for their replies. well i guess the plan is do my STCW in england and try my luck out there... hopefully i will get a good captain and crew mates thanks again for all the info and i hope Singapore is treating you well!

Average 0 out of 5