Welcome to the Dockwalk.com Forum

In order to post a comment in one of the forum topics, you must log in or sign up. Your display name will appear next to your posts unless you check the Post Anonymously box. When writing a post, please follow our forum guidelines. If you come across a post that you would like us to review, use the Report Post button. Please note the opinions shared in the forums do not necessarily reflect the views of Dockwalk.

RSS Feed Print
Antibes or Palma?
Matthew
Posted: Thursday, February 10, 2011 9:38 PM

Hi guys, I'm heading south in a month or so to try and get on a superyacht as a deckhand. I have some professional experience and all the qual needed, YM offshore, STCW, ENG1, etc but I'm not sure where I will be most successful in finding a job? Ideally I want to get a position on a sailing yacht, as this is where all my experience has been. I have heard that Palma get more sailing vessels than Antibes, however, I can't imagine that there are as many vessels in Palma as there are Antibes. Any advise on where to go? :S Cheers
Anonymous
Posted: Friday, February 11, 2011 5:24 PM
Well, I'm sure you can find job on both. The diference is that Antibes all the power for jobs are on the agencies and bars, knowloadge of people. Palma do have some agencies, most of them the same as antibes but the docks are reaaaaly big. At least 2 or 3 hours if you walking to do an compleete dockwalk. Palma is ambeliveble good athmosfere. The problem is, Antibes too!! Good luck sun.
proskipper
Posted: Saturday, February 12, 2011 4:17 PM

Dunno.

Never done Antibes.

I would say that Palma is a power job, but there isn't much there, prob only 100 large boats on the island.

I skipper medium stuff, much more work.

AllyJ
Posted: Sunday, February 13, 2011 7:52 AM

Hi there - I'd say Palma has the slight edge on getting a job on a sailboat - specially if you arrive early and catch the boats out of the water at the Astilleros yard pre-season. The big sailboats nearly all haul there... Trouble is though, if you aren't successful, its very expensive getting to and from Mallroca during summer. Antibes/France has the benefit of having several large ports in close proximity or at least accessible by bus or train - Antibes, Cannes, Nice, Monaco. Good Luck. A xoxoxo
proskipper
Posted: Tuesday, February 15, 2011 5:10 PM

Again, think go for power but up to you.

If it isn't Palma it's Portals, but that's clicky, really clicky.

Some really not nice characters skippering there, I refer you to the harrasement thread.

Mallorca is expensive.

I would refer you to a couple of mates in the charter game, but everyone has gone bust.

AllyJ wrote:
Hi there - I'd say Palma has the slight edge on getting a job on a sailboat - specially if you arrive early and catch the boats out of the water at the Astilleros yard pre-season. The big sailboats nearly all haul there... Trouble is though, if you aren't successful, its very expensive getting to and from Mallroca during summer. Antibes/France has the benefit of having several large ports in close proximity or at least accessible by bus or train - Antibes, Cannes, Nice, Monaco. Good Luck. A xoxoxo

Matthew
Posted: Tuesday, February 15, 2011 9:24 PM

Thanks for the replies guys. I'm not fussed about working on an actual superyacht, size doesn't bother me. In fact I would rather find work on a mid range sailing yacht. From the advice you guys have given me, I think I will try my luck in antibes!
Erica
Posted: Thursday, April 14, 2011 4:31 PM

Mallorca is NOT expensive!! cost of accomodation and food etc is much cheaper than france. Palma has the edge over Antibes because we have a lot of yachts and a lot less crew...
Jamespettifer
Posted: Friday, April 15, 2011 11:00 AM

Palma is cheaper and in many ways safer than Antibes. Main land Spain in only a couple of hours away by ferry and there is a lot less crew in Palma. Friendlier and bigger marinas.

Average 5 out of 5