Welcome to the Dockwalk.com Forum

In order to post a comment in one of the forum topics, you must log in or sign up. Your display name will appear next to your posts unless you check the Post Anonymously box. When writing a post, please follow our forum guidelines. If you come across a post that you would like us to review, use the Report Post button. Please note the opinions shared in the forums do not necessarily reflect the views of Dockwalk.

RSS Feed Print
Heading to the South Coast for the Summer.
DeckBoyNick
Posted: Thursday, February 10, 2011 1:35 PM

Hi, i've read lots of posts on this great site so hopefully won't duplicate someone elses I'm 22 yr old student heading to the south coast for the summer and i'm going to try and get some work as a deckhand. I'm bringing £1500 and hopefully going to last August and September. I'm an experienced yachty, sailing alot on my families 30ft motor sailer. I dont have any official quals but from what i've read that should make a difference. I was wondering if you guys on here could recommend a place to stay? i'm flying into Nice and then am going to go wherever the work takes me. From reading this forum i'm fairly confident i'll be able to get a job but i don't want my budget to run out before i find work! Any advice you lovely people could offer would be great! Thanks in advance!
chrismlewis
Posted: Friday, February 11, 2011 9:18 PM

From Nice airport take the bus to Antibes - it is very regular. For sure there are boats elsewhere on the SoF, but that is the place to start your search. Someone else will have to help you with accommodation options and advice. You will be somewhat limited until you have at least the STCW basic safety training, but it will seriously dent your budget. Also August is very late to be arriving as everyone will be up and running at that point. Sorry to be negative... Register on line with all the agencies you can find on google and go visit them when you arrive. be aware that most of them will have certain hours for crew to visit.
DeckBoyNick
Posted: Saturday, February 12, 2011 7:59 AM

would i need the safety qual for daywork as a deckhand? i spoke to someone at the grapevine the other night, he said that in August there would be plenty manual labouring day jobs available as all the crew are on their season long jobs. is that likely or just BS?
junior
Posted: Saturday, February 12, 2011 11:01 AM

Youre a British sailor , you should have no problem finding opportunity . Do you need STCW safety ? This is the classic "fist full of quid " question. STCW is a profit stream ritual the yachting industry requires of young guys like you ......tearing thru your hard earned 1500 quid fistfull playing the sea school game , then blowing the rest with crew houses before you can list at the agent. The typical STCW blow in bought their qualifications long before they realized that the Bow is pointy and dont pee to windward. To appeal as a multipurpose unit its Best to get your STCW safety and best to acquire it in the UK to sidestep feeding local yacht industry sharks . ... Since youre a sailor, you will find that many sailing yachts could give a dam about stinkpot tickets. Seek out the private 70 to 100 ft class sailing yacht . They seek young guys with a good attitude , no substance abuse problems, sailing skills and a strong back. I was in Palma last week and very many crewed sailing yachts are hauled out at STP Palma. I have no idea what the crew needed situation is. EU nationals have a distinct advantage and are hard to find these days, this should play in your favour. . It would be profitable for you to seek out a sailmaker or broker in the UK, have a gab and see if any of their customers , contacts will be looking for a seasonal slab of young , sail folding, winch spinning , rail meat. Generaly the novice crew , who present themselves for the Med season, are under skilled and have unrealistic demands..... free dental, retirement fund... or whatever. Avoid this trap and get on with it. The advantage to being sailing rail meat in the yachting game is that you can stand proud and separate yourself from the bog standard superyacht janitorial cannon fodder ,the ones who surge out of the bars clutching STCW's to the only positions they can qualify for ...... charter motoryachts.
DeckBoyNick
Posted: Sunday, February 13, 2011 11:27 AM

Hi Junior, Thanks so much for your reply, i've read a few of your posts and you seem to be a real asset to this forum. thanks. Can you or anyone else recommend the best place to stay when looking for work? i've looked up a few crew houses, one in particular in Antibes was the Grapevine crew house, they are really helpful and said they would be able to help me find work but their weekly rate is rather dear. if i dont find work i wont be able to hang around for very long!
Henning
Posted: Monday, February 14, 2011 12:03 PM

STCW 95 is not a "Yachting" thing only. It is a requirement for mariners of all vessels. It is a requirement by IMO, the International Maritime Organization, it stands for Standardization of Training and Certification for Watchkeepers and has also been adopted by insurance companies. There are many different courses available through the STCW system depending on your position level. The one you commonly see referred to is STCW BST or Basic Safety Training. This consists of 5 different classes including Water Survival, Basic Firefighting, Medic-first aid, CPR and Personal Safety and Social Responsability aka PSSR or "Pisser". This is the one that is required for work as crew on many vessels. In the commercial sector, I can't hire you without the STCW 95 BST. Typically if I want to hire you, I'll send you to school for a week to get it and then you come onboard. Look around, BST doesn't have to cost a fortune, in the US in many maritime areas the "Community Colleges" offer it for a couple of hundred dollars. There are other courses that add value to your CV over time when you have the applicable level of experience, but the BST is pretty much a "Must Have" anymore just to get you signed on for the insurance. With our current policy I have a month to get you your BST.

Average 0 out of 5