Welcome to the Dockwalk.com Forum

In order to post a comment in one of the forum topics, you must log in or sign up. Your display name will appear next to your posts unless you check the Post Anonymously box. When writing a post, please follow our forum guidelines. If you come across a post that you would like us to review, use the Report Post button. Please note the opinions shared in the forums do not necessarily reflect the views of Dockwalk.

RSS Feed Print
Networking Advise
Leslie Martin
Posted: Tuesday, January 25, 2011 7:21 PM

Hi All

I've been in Fort Lauderdale for almost 3 mo. now and could use some advise on getting better networking contacts for yacht positions (either power or sail).  I've done the usual, sign up with crew agencies, CV placed at Smallwoods, gone to Triton events, done some day work and freelance gig etc.  How can one actually meet key people (captains)? It seems the days of being able to dockwalk are passee here. this town seems very clicky, how does one meet the right people?  Thanks  (Looking for deck/stew/cook positions).

junior
Posted: Tuesday, January 25, 2011 8:06 PM

Always mysterious how to break into the scene. Ft Lauderdale is just terrible. If you were a drug dealer or pimp you would know all the super mega captains and crew. Other than that the classic way to get inside is to work for a yacht contractor who is always on the boats. For sailors the easy way is to volunteer to drive the sail makers van for sail pickup and delivery ... WORK CHEAP. WORK FOR FREE... the sailmakers will love you and you will be on all the best boats..
Bryan
Posted: Friday, January 28, 2011 6:52 PM

@ Junior, I have read 2 of your posts on Dockwalk today and both are extremely negative. You seam to be at war with large yachts and the crew that run them? Could this negativity stem from the fact that no one wants to employ you on one of these "beast"? Then again, your profile photo could be an indication.... short, fat and FUGLY! Dude get a life. You sound like a grumpy, angry, fat old person.... FFS!
rodsteel
Posted: Friday, January 28, 2011 8:49 PM

Bryan,

I believe it has to do with the "rivalry" between M/Y and S/Y

Look near the end of this

http://www.dockwalk.com/Essentials/DockTalk.aspx?g=posts&t=33220

Rod

Anonymous
Posted: Friday, January 28, 2011 9:31 PM
Try Waxy,s on Friday afternoon/early evening

Average 0 out of 5