Welcome to the Dockwalk.com Forum

In order to post a comment in one of the forum topics, you must log in or sign up. Your display name will appear next to your posts unless you check the Post Anonymously box. When writing a post, please follow our forum guidelines. If you come across a post that you would like us to review, use the Report Post button. Please note the opinions shared in the forums do not necessarily reflect the views of Dockwalk.

RSS Feed Print
How can I avoid burn out?
Anonymous
Posted: Tuesday, January 25, 2011 7:07 PM
I worked for an owner that was quite literally the “Project Manager”, he knew exactly how to make a deal, achieve milestones and squeeze every ounce of effort from all his crew, contractors and shipyards. I learnt a great deal from this owner, but he burnt me out after two years. I left the boat on very good terms and want to work for him again but need advice on how to negotiate a fair deal with him. It’s a worst case scenario because I want to work for this owner, but working for him will burnt me out again unless he treats me with a little more respect next time round. What should I do?
simongb-N2
Posted: Thursday, January 27, 2011 11:50 PM

Perhaps since you have left (on good terms) you should move onto greener pastures. Take what you have learned, and make sure you do not get into the same scenario in your next position. Don’t get caught by the glitter of an owner, if you have him as a friend or reference, take that as a positive and move on.

Same environment will breed the same behaviors, to change a behavior you have to change the system that the environment functions around.  If this is the owners system then it will take a lot of work to change it and give different results. If you are up to the challenge, good luck.

If you really have to work for the same owner, maybe see if you can get  rotational position. But think about WHY you want to work for this owner. Make sure it is for the right reasons. Life is short.
N2

CaptErik
Posted: Friday, January 28, 2011 8:48 PM

Join the military, go to Iraq, then come back and quit your whining. When you and others quit posting anonymously I will maybe give you respect, until you grow some cahonees, live with how you get treated.
keeping it real
Posted: Friday, January 28, 2011 11:01 PM

blah, blah, blah, Captain Erik. For basically political reasons it is sometimes smarter to post anonymously when discussing subjects that are sensitive or controversial to other industry members. I would of thought that was obvious. Particularly if one is not at the top of the food chain, ie/the Captain. This forum is an outlet for people to say what they really think without retribution, unlike on the boat where " loose lips sink ships". Therefore a more open and candid discussion will take place when posting anonymously. I only care what is written in response to questions not who writes it. Also, the spanish spelling of testes is cojones. Back to the original post though. Beware of wisdom with hindsight. I would look elsewhere.
heevahova
Posted: Saturday, January 29, 2011 12:09 AM

It's like dating an old girlfriend, you won't get any help here because we all know better. Move on and use the experience in the future, that's what real men do. Next time you may more appreciate what the man is laying down for you.
Dave
Posted: Saturday, January 29, 2011 4:22 AM

You're asking a bunch on yachties how to negotiate with a multi-millionaire? Yachies can't negotiate their way back to the boat at night for crying out loud. Move on son, you can't go backwards in life. I would be surprised if the owner remembers you. If not, take Capt Eriks advice. I also wouldn't worry about spanish spelling, this is an American website, and we all know America is an english speaking nation.  [removed by moderator]
Ben
Posted: Saturday, January 29, 2011 11:41 AM

Capt Erik take it easy! the guy's only asking a question and it's high time you learned to spell if you are a Captain. Dave I'm damn sure I can find my way back to the boat, speak for yourself. As for the original post, I'd have to agree with the other people here, it is time to move on, take what you've learnt and get a job where the owner appreciates and rewards hard work.
junior
Posted: Saturday, January 29, 2011 1:46 PM

Well Anonymous OP .. Relax...... Remember,.... Experience saves you stress...a beginner needs 2 hours to do a one hour job. On the next project you should perform more smoothly since you must have learned many lessons over the past couple years...use these lessons to your advantage Also consider how the Mobile Phone and Email stresses you out and lengthens a work day. Wise up. Keep communication within office hours . For your next project , have two mobile phones. Your personal number ...and your work mobile. Never answer the work mobile outside of your normal 50hr or whatever is appropriate , work week ....NEVER...and NEVER call the owner, a contractor or provider outside of normal work hours on his mobile.. It makes no difference if youre crossing time zones. Stressed out captains , project managers , charter agents, yacht brokers , who don't abide by common working hour communication etiquette are a pain in the ass. Also remember to only patronize first class , proven , yacht service or equipment providers. When you find a contractor that means business..talks the talk and walks the walk....stick with them no matter what the price difference from competing contractor quotes .
Noel
Posted: Sunday, January 30, 2011 12:29 AM

Yeah bro, my 2 colones are pretty much the same as Simon's, Junior's & everyone else. Greener pastures are to be had. Just depends on if you're gonna use a different mower this time...knowing what you have learned...and if you are ready to cut the grass a little different, given your experience that you've gained thus far. Go for something new! Sink or swim you still better yourself by challenging yourself. Might not see that right away, lord knows I never do, but it comes around and into it's own on it's OWN. Keep driving yourself & you will look back at this last experience as maybe an epic/ life growing/ learning moment. Enough of the diatribe, I've enjoyed the comments on this one..generally funnier than most. Good luck to you on however you proceed. -N-
proskipper
Posted: Sunday, January 30, 2011 11:13 AM

Oh God, where did I leave that Feadship?
Capt Kaj
Posted: Tuesday, February 1, 2011 2:21 PM

Dear Anon,

Move on, never look back and you can only learn from the experience and be a wiser person.

Remember, he has lost you, you haven´t lost him.

By the way, did you get a great reference from him?? That might tell you what he thought of you!

Cheers

Capt Kaj

Average 0 out of 5