Welcome to the Dockwalk.com Forum

In order to post a comment in one of the forum topics, you must log in or sign up. Your display name will appear next to your posts unless you check the Post Anonymously box. When writing a post, please follow our forum guidelines. If you come across a post that you would like us to review, use the Report Post button. Please note the opinions shared in the forums do not necessarily reflect the views of Dockwalk.

RSS Feed Print
Junior Stew with Chief Stew attitude and more…
lotta
Posted: Saturday, January 22, 2011 10:08 PM

How many times have we come across a young stewardess , who after just 3 months in the business thinks she knows everything and starts acting like the Chief Stew , telling everyone off, including the Chief Stew , but making sure the Captain does not see it , but only gets to hear about from the grumbling crew..? The problem is that the Junior stew , is good at her job , but unfortunately has a HUGE chip on her shoulder and has a bad habit of telling everyone else what to do and how to do it , or if by mistake a head of department is taking his/her coffee break 5 minutes earlier it gets noted LOUDLY … yet making sure her work is impeccable . Needless to say that the friction between such Royal Pain in the … and the chef escalated , because the junior member also aspires to be a chef , a first mate ( well actually the boyfriend does ), a Chief Stew … Captain has reprimanded the “princess” and it got good for a while , well lets just say that a fake front was put up and the backstabbing continued . Yes because the bitching goes on about the captain , his way of running things and his personal life …. ( obviously not to his face or some of the crew) The Captain cannot see fault in her performance , and truth to be said she is good , but knows fully well how rude the crew member is . Having it experienced first hand when she literally screamed at his wife for walking thru the main salon who had been invited onboard for dinner by the owners … Claiming that wives should not set foot on boats . Now WHO is she to make decisions like that , one day she will be a Wife ( wait maybe not being she is such a COW) How do you deal with a great worker with such an attitude and manipulative skills … who has now taken a different approach to the snitching … ( sending the boyfriend , a great worker too who ,also wants the mate gone so he can get his job ,to the captain with requests and complaints..) ???
Anonymous
Posted: Tuesday, January 25, 2011 8:25 PM
so you have identified the devious plot they are working on and you see their pattern , you now know their game which means you are learning their ropes well , psychology studies have shown that people that try to antagonize others are usually insecure about something themselves and it is driven by fear on their part , is she really perfect ? look again.. ask her about her childhood , how she grew up , did she have brothers and sisters? what does she like? what does she hate? try and get to know her in a nice subtle manner she has something to hide and that is why she is acting up , when you find it you will have her in control... until then keep digging , the alternative is to play dirty just like they do but be forewarned , they are better at it than you because you are just starting and they have been at it for a while so think like a pro and set them up for visible failure without any traces on your end of course , its nasty but it works..i was bullied by scared kids at school and i found out that if you put a visible mark on them then you get into trouble , so i made invisible but memorable arguments that only the bully understood.. , if anyone asked later it was my word against the bullies... who do you think they believed since they already knew the bullies ways?
captcct
Posted: Tuesday, January 25, 2011 8:29 PM

Hah... I just love this stuff. Some little floosie who THINKS she knows it all. What a bloody mary joke. This so-called princess would not last ten minutes aboard any yacht I captained. One has to earn respect, and knowledge and not over three months. Who the hell does she think she is? Listen sweetheart, go back to McD's and learn, and also do an etiquette lesson or two. If the captain... like so many today is a bozo then you get what you find because you are inexperienced and have a major attitude problem with rest of crew, owners, guests, etc. Go and get a real job to teach you to appreciate that, that you can have aboard a mega-yacht. [Comment removed by moderator] Respect your captain - and if he is in command!? would never allow this garbage to happen. O.K. Sorry to bring you into the real world you newbies from S.A., Australia, NZ, USA, or wherever. Niceness and respect is an art form even aboard a yacht. You do as the captain says, if there is a chief stew, you follow her and otherwise shut the F-up. Children (newbies) should be seen and not heard... by anyone. Do your job professionally and maybe you will enjoy the good life.
captcct
Posted: Tuesday, January 25, 2011 8:33 PM

[Removed by moderator]

captcct
Posted: Tuesday, January 25, 2011 9:14 PM

BTW: Here is why a proper captain is in command: To Whom lt may concern I authorize Capt. (?) to make all management decisions as they pertain to lhe running of the private mega-yacht (?) As Master of the vessel he is acting on behalf of (?) and has full control ever all the boats systems, accounts and personnel. He is in total control of hiring, firing, etc., those who do not accept authority. In this case, he has carte' blanche without question and does not need to contact me as I accept his decision/s wherever he is on the globe. Yacht Owner (?.) (125' M/Y (?.) Newbies, understand who is in control!!! It was however earned over many, many years. Certain names deleted - obviously. Nevertheless, I am not anonymous... lol.
Anonymous
Posted: Tuesday, January 25, 2011 11:59 PM
I like it even better...NOT...when they start sleeping with the Capt', (normally their main intention) undermining everyone including him..
Anonymous
Posted: Wednesday, January 26, 2011 12:41 AM
Captain swims in all the glory when everything is fluid and spiffy right ? so when the crew have gone rogue start by looking at the captain and work your way down to the crew mess.....just sayin!
Capt Kaj
Posted: Wednesday, January 26, 2011 1:50 PM

It sounds like the exact type of attitude we are now facing with the under 30´s (that includes poms also by the way Captcct) not only in the yachting industry, but worldwide. They are taught to be bullet proof and that the world owes them a living. For some reason they missed several rungs on the life ladder and are now snapping at the heels of the boss wanting their job AND salary to boot. I have seen this onboard certainly over the last 10 years and it has gotten alot worse over the last 5.

I have 2nd and 3rd Stew´s telling me how much they should be earning even before I offer them the job or get to the salary point in the interview!

Reading between the lines, this little madam has the Capt in her hands (literally??). Often the old man at the top doesn´t have the nowse to see through these games as they are cunning in hiding their ways. The crew also, need to be in control of this little lady and sit on her alot harder.

Fear is a horrible thing, but there is another side to that coin, and that is jealousy. You might fear this madam, she is probably jealous of you and her way of dealing with that is to climb over you and get control. Work on turning that around....good luck! The other way is for the heads of departments to go to the Capt as a whole force together, as one person can be useless especially if he is a Mamby Pamby guy which alot of Captains are.

captcoach
Posted: Wednesday, January 26, 2011 3:12 PM

This situation is going nowhere good. If the majority of the crew(an experienced crew) are in agreement and having serious issues with this pair, they have to go. The capt. has to step in and make the call. I don't care how good they are at their jobs, they, she in particular is causing too many problems. There are others out there who are good or could be good if given a chance and way nicer to work with. Dismissal with a clear explanation why, may serve as a lesson. This kind of personality may need multiple dismissals. On a Yacht, working well with others, kind of important. Again, capt. needs to get on it. There's a saying in sports when there is chaos and disrespect that a coach is losing his team. Well this capt. is losing his team.
Anonymous
Posted: Wednesday, January 26, 2011 4:44 PM
I totally agree with captain coach , remember these people have probably been devious for a while so they are good at it. i once dealt with a two faced monster on deck and got rid of him by keeping a small pocket recorder in the on position , in my pocket.so when he came up to me in my face threatening and saying how untouchable he was i got it all on record , then when i told the captain about it he did not believe me and said it couldn't possibly be true that such a nasty person exists and definitely not the person in question i pulled out the tape recorder and jaws dropped after listening. i was told recording was not legal but i sorted it out anyhow and the person was off the boat in an hour. so if they play dirty sometimes you have to dish it back , get smart!
andrea
Posted: Wednesday, January 26, 2011 8:13 PM

To Captcct .... needless to say that your rudeness has surpassed that of the "princess" , how can you judge people by their nationality and other colleagues? I for one would never work for a captain that is so ready to slag off another captain If you read carefully , she does her work well , i am being fair , she might be a cow , but her work is good , i've been on 3 boats in 5 years and the captain is very capable and not a spineless one . He is fair and recognizes when someone does a good job , not unlike some others who take all the glory and walk around like peacocks fanning their tail ... A captain should not micromanage the junior crew , that's why you have Chief Stews , mates and so on. He is there to listen and if there is a valid "gripe' he does take action .. but he can't always deal with a kindergarden situation.... He is aware of the fact that the girl in question is "pushy" and knows fully well that she uses the boyfriend who works onboard to report whatever does not 'suit' her.... the fault lies also in the chief Stewy who for the sake of the status quo ... ( read less work for her) does not do much in the way of putting her in place ... It is also up to the chef to stand up and not put up with the s....t . I do my job , get on with my life , I don't have to like her , but as I am working with her I am polite , she is never going to be my friend , but on a boat you have to learn to live with different personalities , attitudes and so on , same like in an office , but here we don't get to go home and forget about it , here we live with each other 24/7 ... more or less. I for one think that when the princess grows up in age , maturity and career she will 1) be the chief Stew from HELL 2) The HORRIBLE Captain's Wife ( if someone is stupid enough to marry her 3) She will eventually hang herself with her own attitude and Chip on the shoulder . Oh and to Capt Kaj .. No she is not doing the Captain, nor does she has him in her hands... He is a respectable man , not a skirt chaser unllike others who abuse their position ... Actually I wonder why no one has ever posted a " list" Captain's who like to chase their Crew and a List with Stew who Like to chase Captains... that would be Funny .
Anonymous
Posted: Thursday, January 27, 2011 11:33 AM
to the guy taping with the micro cassette recorder... the general rule in Australia (and I assume you are not in Oz, but...) is that if your voice is on the tape and you are involved in the conversation being recorded, then is it perfectly legal and you don't need a warrant to use the device... unlike phone taps etc... and as long as you don't you the recording maliously it is ok... I am an ex-policer officer and studied law at uni, so this is only my view... and I am sure other countries are slightly different.. but good on you.. I have used them before to... if you can't get something in writting then get it on tape... cheers
areyoukiddingme
Posted: Friday, January 28, 2011 1:39 AM

[removed by moderator]

Anonymous
Posted: Friday, January 28, 2011 2:10 AM

[removed by moderator]

Anonymous
Posted: Friday, January 28, 2011 11:55 AM
Sometimes you have to be the bigger better person and maybe , work around the problem trying to make her understand that by doing what she is doing, she is not making friends but enemies , that will not waste time in pointing out her mistakes , the minutes she makes one . By the sounds of the Original post , this girl seems to be quite young and with less than a year under her belt .... She will learn from her own mistakes , and if she doesn't she will move from boat to boat causing havoc and soon the boyfriend will realize that being associated with a troublemaker is not good for his job .. , there are so many girls out there like this , like some of the other posters have written , there are also crew that will probably be way beet than these two if they were given the opportunity to prove themselves . This girl needs to know she is not the best out there and that no one is irreplaceable.
Anonymous
Posted: Friday, January 28, 2011 4:45 PM
Hmmm, that's assuming the person writing the post is not the problem... Always two sides.
John
Posted: Friday, January 28, 2011 7:11 PM

Hi Lotta , One Captain here hit nail on the head with “The crew also need to be in control etc” It sounds like the Chief Stew has already instigated the correct procedure to bring this Stewardess in line. With the Captains involvement and reprimand this has paved the way for the Chief stew to do their job as department head. The Chief Stew needs to manage the situation and as soon as this person steps out of line, needs to be pulled immediately to one side and reprimanded . Then if it continues it goes to the First mate to manage the situation and if she persists with her behavior the First Mate can address the issues with the Captain. It does not matter how good she is at her Job, she needs to fit in with the team and operation, especially in our environment. Having said that “she is new to the industry” “ good at her job” maybe she is being mismanaged. These are basic management /disciplinary procedures and will work if kept at a professional level. At the end of it, if managed properly you could have an effective team player on-board, if not she will probably leave of her own accord. I am a bit confused to who is the Chief stew , is it the boyfriend ? if it is , it will need a different approach. into the line management structure, but the same principles John
lotta
Posted: Friday, January 28, 2011 9:21 PM

to the anonymous who thinks that the poster is the problem .... one question how come i have been here 16 months and just had a raise if I am the trouble maker ??? This Girl just cannot help herself trying to tell everyone what and how their job should be done ... ( obviously she wont dare telling the capt off ..)and there are 12 of us and 10 have had it enough !! The bf is not the chief stew he is on deck . Every one has complained , but until she "faults" in front of the captain , for a good reason , she wont get told to pack her stuff. He knows she is a pushover , and has reprimanded her a couple of times ...
Anonymous
Posted: Friday, January 28, 2011 11:10 PM
there seems to be a lack of respect of others on the junior stews side , people come from different backgrounds and upbringings , if she is new , she is probably showing how she lived ashore and dealt with people not realizing it's different on a yacht.It is up to her superiors to show her the way its done.If she is stubborn and wont conform , a warning needs to come through and from the sounds of it that has happened, if the issues continue after a second warning , the next time she visits the wheel house in regards to the same problem is to pick up a travel itinerary to her home country.As for the captain , either he has no backbone which makes me wonder how he can lead without effective authority or he has something going on with the young lady which gives her a touch of cockiness and positions him over her barrel either way he needs to have some pronounced authority if not as captain then as a a man right?
John
Posted: Saturday, January 29, 2011 10:12 AM

You seem to have a valid grievance and Andrea has some valid points. You need to have meeting with the Chief stew and air your grievances in professional manner explaining that is effecting the operation and causing acute Staff moral issues( Documented). Ask for it to be addressed and explain if it not resolved you will have no option but to take it to the next level. Someone needs to take the lead ( Respected long time crew member) and instigate this and if necessary take it all the way to the top. I would imagine if the Captain has a good crew and the process is done in a professional manner , he will act accordingly to maintain his team. Try to keep the boyfriend out of it for now, he does a good job and focus on the main problem. Hope this is of some assistance, without all the facts it is hard to give constructive unbiased advise. Good luck John
lotta
Posted: Sunday, January 30, 2011 1:04 AM

I would Like to thank John , whom out of everyone that replied actually was the one who actually was the nicest and could understand the problem without being so judgemental and rude . This post seems to have stirred quite a lot of reactions amongst crew and others . I hope this will also help other crew ... because I am convinced we are not the only one with this kind of problem . I just hope that one way or the other it will get solved .

Average 4 out of 5