Welcome to the Dockwalk.com Forum

In order to post a comment in one of the forum topics, you must log in or sign up. Your display name will appear next to your posts unless you check the Post Anonymously box. When writing a post, please follow our forum guidelines. If you come across a post that you would like us to review, use the Report Post button. Please note the opinions shared in the forums do not necessarily reflect the views of Dockwalk.

RSS Feed Print
Diesel prices between Genoa and Malaysia
Ewan Grocott
Posted: Tuesday, January 4, 2011 8:58 PM

Hello,

Does anyone know of any websites or other materials that can assist me in finding out average Diesel prices for a passage from Genoa (Italy) to Langkawi (Malaysia). I have to stop every three days for fuel so finding the cheapest spots to fill up will make quite a difference in the end fuel cost.

Many Thanks

Bear
Posted: Friday, January 7, 2011 5:44 PM

You don't say what your actual range is. But in any case, high speed diesel prices nowadays are much the same in most places, assuming you can arrange to take it under bond (duty free). As I am aware, you can easly arrange bonded fuel in Syracusa, Cyprus (Larn), Port Said, Suez, Sharm, Pt Sudan, Jeddah, Mitsawa, Salalah or Aden, (buy/fill some barrels on deck for crossing to ..) SriLanka (Gaul) and Langkawi which is duty free in any case. Beware unnecessary agents who may charge almost the price difference between taxed and non taxed to arrange bond as most decent fuel suppliers, particularly Shell and BP etc., will usually be able to arrange the bond documentation at no charge. Lastly, try to operate at the end of the flat element of the fuel consumption curve, and not somewhere into the 'hockey stick', even if it feels nice, as the latter may/will double your consumption for no more than a quarter or half an extra knot. Make sure day tanks are well calibrated and easily read for readings at end of every watch to maintain calculation of fuel consumption accurately.
Capt Kaj
Posted: Monday, January 10, 2011 9:29 AM

Hi Ewan,

Contact the guys at Yacht Fuel Services in the UK, they have agreements and supply fuel for all of your route, give them your places of choice that you want to bunker and the amount and they can advise you if it is a good place to take on fuel or not and the prices. Sometimes you won´t get prices confirmed too far out, but they will advise you on this. Their tel number is+44 870 608 2124. Their website is www.yachtfuel.com

These guys are professional bunkering agents and not cowboys, they have been around for years and I have used them all over the world. You could well find out that bunkering without an agent is expensive and almost impossible in dodgy places and the quality could be dubious, not what you are after on your long passage is it!

Happy sailing!

Capt Kaj

Average 0 out of 5