Welcome to the Dockwalk.com Forum

In order to post a comment in one of the forum topics, you must log in or sign up. Your display name will appear next to your posts unless you check the Post Anonymously box. When writing a post, please follow our forum guidelines. If you come across a post that you would like us to review, use the Report Post button. Please note the opinions shared in the forums do not necessarily reflect the views of Dockwalk.

RSS Feed Print
Don't want to be a grinch
Anonymous
Posted: Wednesday, December 22, 2010 2:55 PM
It’s Christmas time and I’m MISERABLE. I work on a 115-footer with five crew, including me. The captain and the chef are married and the Mate and the Chief Stew are dating. I’m the deck/stew and I feel like I’m completely alone. We’re headed to The Bahamas for a charter a few days after Christmas, but until then we have some downtime. The captain and chef are older and never really hung out with the other three of us much, but since it’s the holidays, the Ch. and Mate are off shmooping about and leaving me out completely. I don’t know anyone else in the area, I’m completely homesick and what’s worst… I was given the Christmas Day watch because I don’t have a significant other or family to spend it with. I know I might sound whiney, and I know this is the nature of the industry, but I’m having a really difficult time and I was wondering if anyone out there could empathize with me and perhaps give me some advice on cheering up. I don’t want to be all “Bah Humbug” but it’s a really tough situation right now….
Anonymous
Posted: Wednesday, December 22, 2010 3:31 PM
Enjoy the peace and quiet of having the boat to yourself for once !!! There is always Skype and if that doesn't do it for you, get the 'rabbit' fired up You are right, that is the business we are in and I'm on watch too.. Happy Xmas
rodsteel
Posted: Wednesday, December 22, 2010 6:15 PM

Anonymous wrote:
...You are right, that is the business we are in and I'm on watch too.. Happy Xmas

Anon's,

If you have the Skype bandwidth, maybe you should think about setting up an "on watch" round-robin "gab fest" (from 4pm to 12pm?) among all those in the same boat (pun intended) to help keep spirits up and each other amused (make it a "contest" to see how many of you can get connected - use your radios to set it up?).

Happy Holidays to All!

Rod

Captain Scott
Posted: Wednesday, December 22, 2010 8:10 PM

Where are you stuck?

QueenoftheCastle
Posted: Wednesday, December 22, 2010 9:15 PM

Why not go on a bender the day before (in true Yachtie style) and give yourself the mother of all hangovers - then you won't WANT to do anything on Christmas Day.  Sorted

Chris
Posted: Wednesday, December 22, 2010 9:29 PM

doing the same thing in albany. siting on the boat on christmas day. Kinda got lucky though. thought we were gonna be stuck on the hard at bradfords in grandbahama. Do some christmas shopping online and treat your self to a couple of drinks while chillin out.
Azzag
Posted: Thursday, December 23, 2010 5:17 AM

In 1983 I was at sea on Christmas day except for a handful of years ever since I have been at sea, on watch for some reason separated from friends and family. This year I am in a shipyard in a Muslim country and will be working. But the Christmases that I have had were just so much better
Anonymous
Posted: Thursday, December 23, 2010 10:46 AM
Enjoy the fact that you are not on charter! Yes, you have to be on watch, but at least you dont have to spend an incredibly long hard day making someone else's Christmas amazing! Call your parents, call your friends, buy stuff online... And I like the idea of going out for a bender Christmas Eve, although instead of getting wasted go out and flirt your ass off, who knows maybe you wont be lonely anymore.
Capt Kaj
Posted: Thursday, December 23, 2010 10:58 AM

That was a bit tough being given the watch on Xmas day, had it been my yacht I would have thrown 3 names (2 couples and yours) into a hat and drawn out who gets to do the watch. Actually to be fair, sometimes it is just as nice for a couple to be on watch as they have each other, that way you might have been able to join others in the port to go out on what I call an orphans Xmas dinner, people who also don´t have a partner and are alone at this time of year.

On the other side of the coin, this will also be a good bartering point at a later date with the Captain when you want a day off or to change a watch.

Now that you are stuck onboard, make sure the cheffy leaves you a well suitable Xmas fare and tell el Capitain that you WILL be having the complimentary glass of champers.

By the way, onboard my yacht because my wife and I had last Xmas off, we are doing the watches onboard on the 24th & 25th December.

Enjoy the space, get a good phone card and call all your friends around the world, that will ease the pain of the special day!

Merry Xmas

Capt Kaj

piratemike
Posted: Thursday, December 23, 2010 11:11 PM

This is the first post for me.  EVER,    I have read alot but have yet to respond but this being Christmas and all  I think I must. on this xmas eve I am haveing a small get together at my house in aventura, if you are near and would like to come by, consider this a invite to have dinner and drinks with my yachting family! always room for one more at Italian tables! please think about it. this is for real.  MERRY CHRISTMAS EVERYONE!  Capt. Mike
Anonymous
Posted: Friday, December 24, 2010 12:26 AM
There is no place for homesickness, time to rethink being in this biz....
Henning
Posted: Friday, December 24, 2010 4:31 AM

Anonymous wrote:
There is no place for homesickness, time to rethink being in this biz....

While there is definitely an amount of truth to that, I think it's more a matter of degree. Everybody gets a bout of it here and there, especially those not working in a "team" position and on holidays and special family occasions that we miss . If one finds oneself continuously miserable though, yeah, this business probably isn't for you....

Anonymous
Posted: Friday, December 24, 2010 5:12 PM
[removed by moderator] Its the nature of the industry if you dont like it leave, so u r stuck on a 115ft motor yacht with a fridge full of food and booze....your not homeless and are alot more fortunate then alot of people at christmas time... wake up to yourself!!!!
Tara Phelan
Posted: Saturday, December 25, 2010 11:21 PM

Well I would like to wish everyone a happy Christmas, weather you with friends, family or by yourself, the good thing about being by yourself is you can do what you want when you wants on that note time to open a bottle of wine...

Average 0 out of 5