Welcome to the Dockwalk.com Forum

In order to post a comment in one of the forum topics, you must log in or sign up. Your display name will appear next to your posts unless you check the Post Anonymously box. When writing a post, please follow our forum guidelines. If you come across a post that you would like us to review, use the Report Post button. Please note the opinions shared in the forums do not necessarily reflect the views of Dockwalk.

RSS Feed Print
Paddleboards, personal gear on board.
ftlaudyachty
Posted: Thursday, December 2, 2010 3:38 PM

Let's face it, we work in a demanding industry so when it is time to play we tend to play as hard as we work.

Recently I have been thinking about getting a paddle board and storing it in my boats garage, the captain and I get along great so I don't think asking would be a major issue even if he turns me down but I thought I would check with others out there in the ether.

Do your boats have paddle boards on board and if so are they "boat" boards, personal boards or a mix of both?  Or is a personal board in the garage to much to ask for as first mate?

I wanted a way to get some exercise and get around and a paddle board seems perfect for me.  Any feed back would be greatly appreciated.

Anonymous
Posted: Thursday, December 2, 2010 7:08 PM
Space is always a premium on a yacht. Crew bikes, surf boards can and do damage the boat when crew squeeze them into nooks and crannies. Just remember that if you can store a big piece of sport gear on board others will follow suit and this is the real dilemma for the captain. If I was your captain I'd politely say no, because I can't say yes to everyone and to make it fair for others it's better the boats storage areas are for the owner and work items only.
Tristan
Posted: Thursday, December 2, 2010 7:49 PM

Believe it or not storing a paddleboard is a pain even in a house with a garage let alone a yacht; I have hopefully a better relationship with my wife than you do with your Captain but even so, adding a new board to the already varied collection is a challenge.  I haven’t bought one yet but I did have a go on one a few times and the best option I think is an inflatable one, they are properly rigid and unless you are paddling out in big surf it is perfect.  They are the best thing I have come across for all round fitness and the bonus is you can use them in varied conditions from flat to lumpy.  Check out the video for how small it stores.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Gqpp2KTFfY  You should be able to lose that in a yacht somewhere.

Anonymous
Posted: Friday, December 3, 2010 12:36 PM
My answer as a captain would be no. Apart from the fact that "one wants, then everyone wants" the space problem, is always a problem! It's not your home, its your work place! And please dont use your personal relationship with the Captain to get some preferential treatment from him. That will make you lots of crew friends!!
Anonymous
Posted: Friday, December 3, 2010 3:15 PM
If your gut told you to ask here, then you already knew it would be a problem..you knew the answer would be no.
blueh20500
Posted: Friday, December 3, 2010 5:38 PM

[removed by moderator]

chrismlewis
Posted: Friday, December 3, 2010 5:56 PM

It depends a bit on the size of the boat. I have allowed heads of department to carry some personal gear from time to time if space allowed. But a paddle board is much bigger than a 6' 8 surfboard... Maybe you could offer to make it a board that is available for use by Owner's, guests, charterers etc if the boat carries it around. Alternatively talk to the Captain about having the boat buy one to offer something new & trendy to charterers, then maybe you can get to use it when off charter!
janice
Posted: Friday, December 3, 2010 9:47 PM

Make that call to Alan....PUMPED UP is the way to go for easy storage, easy transport, peace of mind for a fun time. I'm PUMPED
blueh20500
Posted: Saturday, December 4, 2010 5:09 PM

Well... Inflatable are really the answer...had one for about 3 weeks and and its the BOMB!!! Sorry Mr. Moderator...
Tristan
Posted: Monday, December 6, 2010 3:58 PM

Blueh20500..which one did you get?
Henning
Posted: Tuesday, December 7, 2010 7:59 AM

We always try to find room for crew gear and we have less storage than is typical. Luckily we're a completely private boat and the owner wants crew to be happy. Then again, we already have 30 surf boards and 1 paddle board aboard among all the other stuff including my board and dive gear. It is really more than our work place, it's our home as well. Approach the captain about it and have a plan already thought out about EXACTLY where it's going to go and how you intend to secure it.

blueh20500
Posted: Tuesday, December 7, 2010 10:33 PM

Hey Tristan.. Yep, got a Shubu10'7". The best in all my research because it's the only one w/ a full size removalbe skeg!! Happy to let ya try it..
Miss B Haven
Posted: Wednesday, December 8, 2010 7:05 AM

My rule was if you can hide it somewhere, no problem. The problem with this stuff is if it's in sight of guest is they want to use it. It becomes embarrasing for the owner if he doesn't own the gear they want to use or the crew member finds it awkward when he is forced to lend his gear out to some charter guest who has no idea how to use it.

Average 0 out of 5