Welcome to the Dockwalk.com Forum

In order to post a comment in one of the forum topics, you must log in or sign up. Your display name will appear next to your posts unless you check the Post Anonymously box. When writing a post, please follow our forum guidelines. If you come across a post that you would like us to review, use the Report Post button. Please note the opinions shared in the forums do not necessarily reflect the views of Dockwalk.

RSS Feed Print
Does Dockwalking Work?
Dean
Posted: Sunday, November 21, 2010 1:37 AM

Dockwalking might get you close to the yachts, but it does Dockwalking get you closer to getting a job?
Henning
Posted: Sunday, November 21, 2010 5:35 AM

It does if you are offering something besides a CV and talk. Show up asking if I need the stainless or engine room, pump room.... detailed, and then do an excellent job of it.

junior
Posted: Sunday, November 21, 2010 10:24 AM

Of course it works. I take a minute to speak with everyone stopping by looking for work. If I have nothing, then I say... Hey...I heard Dean was looking for a hand...its that boat down the end of the dock, go have a chat. When dockwalking you also pick up the names of yachts, listen to the gossip, see with your own eyes what boats are doing work and you meet the personalities around the waterfront. How the hell do you expect to find opportunity by simply sitting in your house waiting for an apple top fall off the tree ? I never hire anyone who thinks they can sit on the shelf and waite for me to cruise by and purchase them.
Trina G
Posted: Tuesday, November 23, 2010 7:58 PM

I have to agree with Junior, any job I have had in the past couple years has been thru word of mouth and getting to know people. I still have yet to hear anything from an agency... imagine if i had sat and waited for them to come to me! I would have starved to death by now. You may not pick up a job the day you dockwalk or even from any of the boats you stop by, but make a good impression, get to know people and they will pass your name along to others. Most importantly when you do get some day work do the best job you can do (as you should anyways) and make a good name for yourself, dont show up hungover etc... Its defintily about networking. As for a "couple of guys who are always on here commenting" I would like to say thank you... I love hearing your comments and advice. T
Leslie Martin
Posted: Wednesday, November 24, 2010 2:36 AM

Yes, I've been wondering the same thing myself. I have been in Fort Lauderdale for one month, and although I have attended networking events, and had a bit of daywork, I find some of the docks locked. So how is one suppose to dockwalk (even when you are American) and get close enough to introduce yourself to the boats out there. I've been cut off by security guards at the gates. Sure, I can provide some outstanding, and my best work, but first how do I get to meet anyone in charge on where the boats are? any info. appreciated

Leslie Martin

junior
Posted: Wednesday, November 24, 2010 9:06 AM

Gee, I regularly walk into marinas and shipyards...you simply sign in with the guard , state your business, and in you go. Once you know someone inside the marina...you can always think of some "business" to be done. You easily meet other yachties at the gate or marine store or the cafe, introduce yourself , get their name and presto you have a shipmate. Ive never known a yachty who did not cooperate with another yachty to enable them to get in, have a look around and do some dockwalking. NEVER...we are all in the same boat when it comes to penetrating security. My feeling is that security never gives genuine yachties a hard time. Don't know the US and I dont know Ft Lauderdale. If you do come across a yachty who resents your presence or gives you a hard time....get the name...pass it around and we will make their life difficult.
Sean-H
Posted: Monday, December 13, 2010 3:17 PM

It worked for me in Ft Lauderdale the first day walking, 2nd boat, the Nike corporate yacht being the first I approached. 4 days polishing at $12/hour for 10 hours each day, but this was in 2002, not sure how it is there now. Since then I got married, now my wife and I are about to brave Antibes in March next year, which brings me to a question: how does dockwalking work for couples? Well not long after those few days work I was sitting around at Floyd's and someone came in with the number of the owner of a 72ft sail, long story short, Marthas Vineyard, Nantucket, Boston for a few 4th July fireworks displays, epic summer for me. I think this is a good example of being in the right place at the right time.

Average 0 out of 5