Welcome to the Dockwalk.com Forum

In order to post a comment in one of the forum topics, you must log in or sign up. Your display name will appear next to your posts unless you check the Post Anonymously box. When writing a post, please follow our forum guidelines. If you come across a post that you would like us to review, use the Report Post button. Please note the opinions shared in the forums do not necessarily reflect the views of Dockwalk.

RSS Feed Print
Dockwalking
Katie
Posted: Wednesday, November 17, 2010 5:11 PM

I am a newbie in the industry, and as many of you know, it is a tough year for finding yacht jobs (especially with no experience).  The best way to get experience, so I've heard, is doing daywork.  But daywork usually involves dockwalking, and I am a Canadian citizen.  I have also heard that immigration is really cracking down on dockwalkers.  Any suggestions?!
Henning
Posted: Saturday, November 20, 2010 11:38 PM

Canadians hold special privileges in the US. I don't know the current rules but a few years ago I helped out a Canadian buddy with the system and it was reasonably simple to get him a 5 year work visa which was basically a probationary period that led to a Green Card.

junior
Posted: Sunday, November 21, 2010 12:11 PM

Yes indeed its been a tough year. I was just in Palma de Mallorca for a few days with boat buisness . Palma is one of the biggest yacht ports in the world , and things looked quite. The contractors I spoke with were all working on the slow side. Your best approach is to dockwalk with a relaxed attitude. Dont be so work hungry, simply spend your dockwalking time getting to know the people on the yachts. Its from these people and you being a familiar face that will soon give you inside lines to jobs. Make your face known .
captain
Posted: Tuesday, November 23, 2010 7:30 PM

IN YOUR QUEST FOR YACHT WORK, TRY NET WORKING @ DOCKWALK GET TOGETHERS,LOCAL PLACES WHERE THE CAPTAINS,CREWS, YACHTING PEOPLE GO TO RELAX, ENJOY SPORTS,GYMS,TRY CONTACTING MANGERS,CAPTAINS CREWS,DOCK MASTERS, THERE ARE A FEW NON US FLAGS FLYING THAT MAY HIRE YOU FOR DAY WORK , TRY THE YACHTS IN SERVICE YARDS (MERLIN)
heevahova
Posted: Wednesday, November 24, 2010 2:17 AM

Yep, it's not the best time, I suggest applying as henning said it may not be so complicated being Canadian. It's not worth the consequences of being targeted by agents. That would be at best a bad day. Thank you so much for acknowledging that there is a boundary, the way I see it your 1/2 way there. I'd hire you in a second just for that. If you do get lucky , so to speak, make sure the captain for which you are day-working puts you on his/her crew list as a foreign flag does not entitle the ship to hire illegal local temp workers. Nor is it the responsibility of the ship/master to check papers on local labor, so said you would be the only one breaking rules and possibly/likely deported. Best of Luck and welcome to the industry.
Daniel Levine
Posted: Wednesday, November 24, 2010 6:31 AM

Hi Dockwalkers, I am a newbie in this industry, and am a South African. Ive heard that the best way to get work is to do the infamous dockwalk, but I know that this can be a tricky process with port authorities etc. Any Advice or Suggestions on how I can get started would be invaluable to me?
jakekaj
Posted: Wednesday, November 24, 2010 6:06 PM

If I had listened to all of the people saying that it can't be done or you'll never find a job I would be on my bum at home. But I'm not! Optimism nearly always prevails over pessimism and YOU can make it happen
Anonymous
Posted: Friday, November 26, 2010 9:42 PM
I think dock walking is a start Bahia Mar is a good marina. Networking networking networking, every month the Triton ( www.thetriton.com ) Miami Yacht Show in Feb. Get your STCW and ENG-1, put your name in at all crew sites (Triton Directory and Dockwalk) Have business cards make them your self, supplies at office depot designs from Microsoft Office. Computers and printers avail for use at Fedex-kinkos

Average 0 out of 5