Welcome to the Dockwalk.com Forum

In order to post a comment in one of the forum topics, you must log in or sign up. Your display name will appear next to your posts unless you check the Post Anonymously box. When writing a post, please follow our forum guidelines. If you come across a post that you would like us to review, use the Report Post button. Please note the opinions shared in the forums do not necessarily reflect the views of Dockwalk.

RSS Feed Print
Will boats avoid the U.S. in the future?
Septic tank
Posted: Thursday, November 4, 2010 11:49 AM

If immigration and customs cracked down on illegitimate workers (day-workers & job seekers) and visa requirements became more stringent would boats boycott American waters? Yacht crew aren’t immigrating to American, they are travelling through whilst they work on foreign yachts. The issue is not one of immigration; the issue is the legitimacy of people temporality working on and around yachts, whilst they are in U.S. waters.
Anonymous
Posted: Thursday, November 4, 2010 9:44 PM
Boats are already avoiding the US.( Florida and California in particular) But not because of Immigration and Visa issues rather because of price gauging and the bureaucracy dance, the amount of extra insurance, retainers spent on NTVRP. Its a Dollars and cents issues.
Captain Mark Drewelow - C2C inc San Diego
Posted: Friday, November 5, 2010 8:08 PM

I would like to see some facts supporting the comment above "price gauging and the bureaucracy dance, the amount of extra insurance, retainers spent on NTVRP. Its a Dollars and cents issues" C2C works with most large yachts that cruise the Eastern North Pacific waters. If anyone is considering heading this way and has concerns, we are delighted to provide facts of what things cost and do cost evaluation based on facts. Using the Med as an example. When you look at dockage and fuel costs alone, I believe that this part of the world looks cheap. We expect that some other companies providing solutions in the Easteren North Pacific will step into this conversation and provide information. Captain Mark Drewelow C2C inc
junior
Posted: Saturday, November 6, 2010 7:53 AM

A cruise and downtime are different. Plenty of unique, beautiful things to see and great people to meet on the US coast. The US is one of the world great cruise destinations. It wont effect an owners cruise planning at all. Any inconvenience encountered is taken care of by the crew as part of a job we are paid to do. Downtime is another matter ..yes. Captains and crew are influential when choosing locations. Day work, crew changes and relaxing are all part of that cycle. I cant imagine waking up in the morning, cruising to the cafe for a coffee and being challenged for documents that I forgot to put in my pocket. . What a hassle., half the time I even forget to put a few coins in my pocket to pay for the coffee.

Average 0 out of 5