Welcome to the Dockwalk.com Forum

In order to post a comment in one of the forum topics, you must log in or sign up. Your display name will appear next to your posts unless you check the Post Anonymously box. When writing a post, please follow our forum guidelines. If you come across a post that you would like us to review, use the Report Post button. Please note the opinions shared in the forums do not necessarily reflect the views of Dockwalk.

RSS Feed Print
Seaman's Discharge Book / Flight Discounting Questions
Atticus
Posted: Friday, October 22, 2010 4:29 PM

Hi everyone, I've read about some of the benefits of the book but does anyone have any firsthand experience? Can you really get significant airfare discounts? Do some airlines offer greater discounts with the document than others? What's the process? Just state that you have a CDB and are on ship's business or is there a "line" to use that has been reliable? Other notable benefits? All the best, A
Henning
Posted: Friday, October 22, 2010 4:56 PM

These days, it doesn't seem to be very good because the fares are already rock bottom. I did a round trip Jakarta Indonesia to Vegas and return from Reno for under $4k Business Class. That was cheaper than they could get me "Seaman's Fare" for and it was last minute booked in 2 one ways. Last year the same flight would have been $10k and $6500 on a Seaman's Ticket.

chrismlewis
Posted: Tuesday, October 26, 2010 6:22 PM

Bear in mind that Seamen's fares include additional bagage (I believe 30kg short haul and 40kg long haul, but this could vary by airline) and are fully flexible and refundable. They have to be booked through an agent, and only the agent can make changes in schedule which can be a pain if it is outside business hours. You will need to demonstrate that you are on ship's business at check in.
Atticus
Posted: Tuesday, October 26, 2010 9:41 PM

Thanks for the notes. When you say agent, do you mean travel agent? I just called a local one that had no idea what I was talking about and has been in the industry and booked other special fares such as military etc. for quite some time. Do you have an agent in the USA you can recommend with experience in "Seaman's Fares"? Also, proof of ships business - would a letter from the captain suffice? Best Regards, A
Anonymous
Posted: Wednesday, October 27, 2010 4:53 AM
I have just booked a seaman's flight with: REGENCY TRAVEL 1316 S.E. 17TH STREET FORT LAUDERDALE, FL 33316 954.525.5117 They state that you either need a Seaman's Book or a letter from the Boat.
Henning
Posted: Wednesday, October 27, 2010 5:55 AM

Over 20 years of flying on seaman's tickets I was always told that as well, but I can't recall ever having to produce anything...YMMV

Atticus
Posted: Saturday, November 27, 2010 6:51 PM

Thanks for the thoughts. Well upon investigation, I found people that book seaman's fares, but they really aren't cheaper than Orbitz.com etc. In fact, quite a bit more expensive in the quotes I've looked into so far. Just thought I'd let other people know in case they were thinking of getting the book just for that reason.

Average 0 out of 5