Welcome to the Dockwalk.com Forum

In order to post a comment in one of the forum topics, you must log in or sign up. Your display name will appear next to your posts unless you check the Post Anonymously box. When writing a post, please follow our forum guidelines. If you come across a post that you would like us to review, use the Report Post button. Please note the opinions shared in the forums do not necessarily reflect the views of Dockwalk.

RSS Feed Print
Different forum software?
Henning
Posted: Sunday, October 3, 2010 2:54 PM

I think that using vBulletin would make the forums much more user friendly as well as adding a Private Message feature.

Janine
Posted: Sunday, October 3, 2010 9:26 PM

Hi Henning, We do have a private messaging feature. However, you must be friends with the person in order to utilize it.
Rusty Wrench
Posted: Sunday, October 3, 2010 9:57 PM

And how would the 'friends' rule be verified/administered? Why would one only pm a friend? somewhat pointless.
Janine
Posted: Monday, October 4, 2010 1:15 AM

Hi Rusty, Much like Facebook, if you go onto someone's profile there is a button to "friend" that person. Unfortunately, we had a problem with a spamer messaging people, which is why we have this new policy.
Henning
Posted: Wednesday, October 6, 2010 6:00 AM

Janine wrote:
Hi Henning, We do have a private messaging feature. However, you must be friends with the person in order to utilize it.
That feature is not through the forums though, there isn't even linkage to get to it if you click the persons name in the forums. This forum software is really substandard, it doesn't work properly with several different browsers either.

twentyonemile
Posted: Thursday, October 14, 2010 10:26 PM

I only just noticed this thread but was wondering what platform the forum currently uses?

Mainly because I've worked with web developers a few times and PHPBB has always been their choice mainly because it's flexible, looks decent and best of all free! Just a thought. You'd still need someone to implement it in any case but if I can help from a Graphics point just shout.

- Phil

Nick
Posted: Friday, October 15, 2010 5:36 PM

Hi Phil

Thanks for the offer. The whole site is built using an ASP.NET system called Ektron. It is targeted at online communities and the forum feature is built-in.

It definitely has some weaknesses, and we're looking at what options we have to upgrade/replace it, particularly in light of this discussion thread. I'll keep you posted.

Do keep the feedback coming, it's great stuff and will help us to create a better product.

Cheers

Nick
nick@dockwalk.com

Average 0 out of 5