Welcome to the Dockwalk.com Forum

In order to post a comment in one of the forum topics, you must log in or sign up. Your display name will appear next to your posts unless you check the Post Anonymously box. When writing a post, please follow our forum guidelines. If you come across a post that you would like us to review, use the Report Post button. Please note the opinions shared in the forums do not necessarily reflect the views of Dockwalk.

RSS Feed Print
starting with...?
Ben
Posted: Friday, September 10, 2010 9:31 AM

Hi all, This is my first post in there, I'm Ben from Brittany France. My english is improving every day so please be kind. 32yo, car mechanical engineer during 5 years and now, after 3 years fulltime volunteer sailing instructor, i'm working hard to prepare the final exam for MOY200 offshore (sailing vessels only) at the end of October. I heard and read many things about the yacht industry. As a newbie, I still have many questions but, to sum up, I'm wondering if it's realistic to find a job quickly after the exam and which job could I expect? Our trainer told us that we'll probably start as mate. Is it realistic? also, he told us that the IYT will find us a job at the end of the course (provided it was successful of course). I can't help being doubtful about this. thanks all for your advices.
junior
Posted: Friday, September 10, 2010 10:58 AM

Should be no problem to find a yachtmasters position. French sailors from the west coast are well respected and the demand for EU nationals to crew EU flagged yachts is high. New guys regularly captain 20 to 25 meter charter yachts for the Med high season. . Seeking to break into the industry as the European season ends is difficult. Winter season Caribbean work is always hard to find, check with the big charter companies in the EU caribbean who operate the 50 to 60 ft catamarans. Modest pay, but not a bad place to spend your winter season. Its possible that IYT could advise you on the availablity of these positions.
Ben
Posted: Friday, September 10, 2010 12:02 PM

20 to 25m would be fine for me as a start I was considering crossing the atlantic for the winter, in order to find a first job, assuming that winter activity in EU was almost nil. Do you mean It would be preferable to stay in EU for the winter? and look at Greece, south of Spain, north Africa...etc..
junior
Posted: Friday, September 10, 2010 2:00 PM

We picked up our first group of guests in the beginning of May and will drop off our last group of guests on the first week of October, then we sail into the west Med and mothball the yacht for maintenance. Mothballing is normal for 75 percent of the crewed yacht fleet. Not many yachts do a two season year. Yachts don't often hire crew for winter downtime. The eastern Med is a dead end in fall and winter. In winter, the Caribbean is about the only game in town. Finding a captains job in Europe during winter is difficult. Could be some crew positions available on Transatlantic yachts departing from Mallorca or the South of France for the Caribbean or other winter destinations. Only a very small portion of the fleet does two seasons, not easy finding end of season work. Nothing wrong with travelling to the South of France...Antibes or Mallorca in OCT, try your luck , get to know the scene, introduce yourself to the Yacht brokers, crew agents and mangment comapnaies in preparation for next summers Med season. You might throw your name out for a position on the ARC race. Seeking out the plastic, "Captained bareboat " charter yachts that work in the Caribbean is very worthwhile. Generally you would be hired in Europe then transferred over to the Caribbean to work the charter season. Google Catamaran Charter Caribbean then start asking.
Ben
Posted: Friday, September 10, 2010 2:56 PM

ok i'm sorry, I read too quickly your first answer and mixed between EU Caribbean and Med. I will have a look at the ARC website, could be a good idea to cross. could you give me a range for the salary I could pretend on Caribbean crewed charter yachts? Thanks again
yachtone
Posted: Tuesday, September 14, 2010 7:30 PM

Ben, if you are serious about a career on yachts I suggest you take advantage of your engineering background (diesel car engines are basically only smaller versions of marine diesels) and try to sign on as 2nd. engineer on the largest sailing yacht you can find or deck/engineer on a smaller yacht, there are lots of other systems to learn but you can learn from the chief or read the manuals. Good engineers are always in demand and with further courses you can expect to earn good money. That said if sailing is more important than money, look for a deckhands job on fast sailboats around 30m. especially around the regattas. If you have the money you can go to St.Martin and walk the docks in St.Maarten, French nationality a big advantage .

Ben
Posted: Thursday, September 16, 2010 10:17 AM

that's exactly what my trainer told me (about using my engineer background). He said that I should pass the Engineer courses as quickly as possible after my master exam. Because there's lot more opportunities as an engineer. during my 3 years volunteerism, I was partly in charge of the sailing school fleet (the biggest EU sailing school) maintenance, gathering experience in this field. but I thought that certificates were required to work as engineer. Am I wrong?

Average 0 out of 5