Welcome to the Dockwalk.com Forum

In order to post a comment in one of the forum topics, you must log in or sign up. Your display name will appear next to your posts unless you check the Post Anonymously box. When writing a post, please follow our forum guidelines. If you come across a post that you would like us to review, use the Report Post button. Please note the opinions shared in the forums do not necessarily reflect the views of Dockwalk.

RSS Feed Print
Visa Issues For Dual Or Triple Nationals
rodsteel
Posted: Wednesday, September 8, 2010 5:29 PM

What are the issues related to signing on as crew with one passport and entering a port using another passport (e.g., crew contract using UK passport, entry to Florida using US passport and/or entry to Halifax using a CA passport)??

Anonymous
Posted: Thursday, September 9, 2010 5:11 AM
It's an interesting question with I suspect no easy answers.  I am a dual US and Australian citizen.  When I obtained my Australian passport prior to returning to OZ I was advised by the Aussie consulate to give them my US passport for a visa to Australia and to use them both when entering and leaving.  The Aussies gave me a long term multiple entry visa on my US passport.  As for the Americans I never let them know about the Aussie passport and did not provide it to them when I re-entered the US.  I understand some laws have changed and it's all a little weird. 

I'd be very careful and speak to the non-US consulate for advice in each case.

rodsteel
Posted: Thursday, September 9, 2010 3:19 PM

Anonymous wrote:
...I understand some laws have changed and it's all a little weird. 

I'd be very careful and speak to the non-US consulate for advice in each case.

Anon,

Thank you - the latter is good advice for the affected individuals.

FYI. Prior to 1990 the US State Department actively discouraged dual citizenship and prior to 1980 they actively prohibited it (especially for naturalized citizens, however, the laws changed in the dual citizens favor in 1980). After 1990 they passively ignore the issue. The advice I have seen strongly suggests leaving and entering the US on your US passport. Canada, like Australia, also seems to prefer you enter and leave on the US passport.

However, my question has more to do with a yacht's hiring and port entry processes and requirements, as opposed to an individual crew member's port entry processes and requirements (when the crew member has mutliple citizenship that permits visa-free employment in ports on both sides of the Atlantic).

Thanks,

Rod

rodsteel
Posted: Tuesday, September 28, 2010 10:39 PM

Here's another issue for (US) dual nationals (I think there was a thread about the "insurance" issue but I can't find it):

"Chief Engineer 35m S/Y

We are looking for a competent and experienced engineer for this great charter yacht. She is in good condition and has just finished a 6 month refit. The yacht has many complicated PLC and hydraulic systems so knowledge of this is a must. Good pay for the right candidate, NO AMERICAN's or Dual US passports due to insurance. Italian language would be a plus, this position starts immediately. This could possibly be a couples position with the First Mate. Please contact June @ c...and...c.com"

Rod

Rusty Wrench
Posted: Tuesday, September 28, 2010 11:09 PM

These 'dual national' matters affect such a small number of those working on yachts, and will only be of concern to the same contingent, they would be wise to seek the advise of a competent attorney, rather than heed the gossip/hearsay contained in these forums

Average 0 out of 5