Welcome to the Dockwalk.com Forum

In order to post a comment in one of the forum topics, you must log in or sign up. Your display name will appear next to your posts unless you check the Post Anonymously box. When writing a post, please follow our forum guidelines. If you come across a post that you would like us to review, use the Report Post button. Please note the opinions shared in the forums do not necessarily reflect the views of Dockwalk.

RSS Feed Print
MNZ -> MCA Engineering tickets - what are they worth?
Karl
Posted: Saturday, September 4, 2010 6:39 PM

Hello, Looking for some advice and information regarding New Zealand tickets and their UK/European equivalents. I'm a mid twenties UK national, However Im currently working through the NZ engineering system of marine qualifications. Thinking of heading back to europe soon and keen to know where i stand.... I've got all the 'big' stcw's and im currently at MEC5 level. They go like this; Mec 6 (lowest engineering ticket) mec5 mec4 mec3 (this is where the more substantial stcw endorsed tickets start - better for international use) mec2 mec1 I'm looking for a causal breakdown of the MCA engineering qualification structure to try and guage what mine are worth... Have seen references to Y2 Y3 etc but not sure how they compare with the kiwi MEC's. Any feedback from crew members who have headed overseas with MNZ tickets would be greatly appreciated, particularly aussie and europe. Any help much appreciated! Regards, Karl
SeaVconsultants
Posted: Saturday, September 11, 2010 9:36 PM

Hello Karl,

In answer to your question regarding MCA qualifications there are two distinct routes for engineers.  The first and most established route is through the commercial route, whereby upon qualification you receive an Engineer Officer of the Watch certification.  This replaced the Class 4 qualification which was the standard before STCW95.  The commercial tickets allow you to pass back and forth between the yacht and commercial worlds without difficulty.

The second and newer route is to take the yacht tickets or (Y) tickets.  These tickets are more restrictive in that they limit you to yachting and do not allow you to transfer over to the commercial world.

Your MEC5 is equivalent to the old Class 5 ticket in the UK that was previously available before STCW95, but is below the requirements to hold a commercial engineering officer job.  You may still be able to get your MEC5 translated to a Y4, but that would be at the discretion of the MCA and the only way to find out for sure what is required is to contact them directly.  Should you continue down the NZ qualification route once you reach MEC4 it should be equivalent to the British EOOW mentioned above.  Not sure where you are taking your qualification, down in Nelson or through the Maritime college in Auckland but if you are somewhere other than Auckland it would also be worth your while making contacting with them.  They have been around for a long time and know their stuff, additionally they do certification all the way through to your Class 1 commercial meaning you'd be able to sail as Chief on any vessel anywhere in the world.

If you need further info contact us by email:  info@seavconsultants.com

Average 0 out of 5