Welcome to the Dockwalk.com Forum

In order to post a comment in one of the forum topics, you must log in or sign up. Your display name will appear next to your posts unless you check the Post Anonymously box. When writing a post, please follow our forum guidelines. If you come across a post that you would like us to review, use the Report Post button. Please note the opinions shared in the forums do not necessarily reflect the views of Dockwalk.

RSS Feed Print
Work in Antibes September
bneilson
Posted: Tuesday, August 17, 2010 5:05 PM

I am heading to Antibes next week and I will be there for a week before completing my STCW. The problem is, I realise that I will be arriving at the end of the med season in Antibes and I dont have a great deal of money to survive on for a large period of time. My question is this, am I arriving at completely the wrong time in the wrong place? I understand a lot of crew will be hired in Port Lauderdale rather than Antibes. Also I understand that a lot of qualified crew will be coming off med trips and I will be competing with more experienced candidates. I don´t need any assurances, I just need a little bit of hope but would prefer it if people could be completely honest with me and tell me if I will be wasting my time.

I am 28 years old, female, Australian nationality and I really want to end up with some stewardess work. I have 8 years of hospitality experience and I have experience in HR also but unfortunately the only yacht experience I have is a few vacations.

Thanks

Cizealin
Posted: Wednesday, August 18, 2010 12:23 PM

I think you have a good but short (until mid Oct) window of hope! It will be a very busy period indeed with the two boat shows, Cannes and Monaco coming up. Crew changes are commonplace, some take a break after a busy season, or simply take the chance for a change.

Also you have a few crossings to the Caribe. Make sure you get around all the yachts in all the ports along the coast, the yachty cafes, and the agencies. There are not many looking/available at the moment so your chances are better than normal. The local buses are very cheap so don't just stay in Antibes like many do, try Monaco, Nice, Cannes etc. STCW 95 is a must so good you are doing that.

Good luck.

bneilson
Posted: Thursday, August 19, 2010 12:05 AM

Thanks for the info I really appreciate it!

Anonymous
Posted: Sunday, August 22, 2010 1:18 AM
Try the quiet but not very well known agency, Stephen Bellinger at ICR Consulting yacht agents. Just around the corner from the Blue Lady. They are small and normally only place top professional crew but are becoming well known. Hope this helps.

Average 0 out of 5