Welcome to the Dockwalk.com Forum

In order to post a comment in one of the forum topics, you must log in or sign up. Your display name will appear next to your posts unless you check the Post Anonymously box. When writing a post, please follow our forum guidelines. If you come across a post that you would like us to review, use the Report Post button. Please note the opinions shared in the forums do not necessarily reflect the views of Dockwalk.

RSS Feed Print
Where to go from here, training to become professional
distinctlyelan
Posted: Saturday, July 17, 2010 3:17 PM

Good morning!
I've spent the last 4 years off an on working in tall ships, and have accumulated a little more than 500 days of sea-time (near-coastal mostly, with about 100 days ocean) on 100 ton ships.

I'm currently working as mate on my first motor yacht, a 124 foot Skipperliner that does private charters and weddings around the area.

Given that this job pays enough (finally! Tall ships rarely pay more than $800 a month.) to pay rent and save a little, I'd like to buckle down and get my licensing and training in. I think I would like to work in the more commercial side, that seems to fit me better than fiberglass and epaulets (though I would take either gig in a  heartbeat).

Knowing I do still have a budget, and looking to get my STCW (including firefighting and lifeboatman), as well as AB-Special and my 100-ton Near Coastal Masters, where would you advise I take training that is both affordable and quality? Any other advice?

While traveling is certainly an option, I live near Washington, DC.

junior
Posted: Monday, July 19, 2010 7:51 PM

Difficult to justify anything on yachts as Professional. You would be wise to closely document your sea time and push thru with professional commercial qualifications. While you're building additional seatime , stop by one of the yachty schools and purchase a yacht master commercial ticket. Insignificant seatime needed, but valuable on the yacht scene. Also since youre mid Atlantic put the United States Naval Academy Safety at Sea seminar ...http://www.mtam.org/schedule.html are your yearly education list. Pay particular attention to the people you meet in the Seminar. Annapolis is a hotbed for professional sailors. Many of my best contacts in the international sailing circuit have originated out of Annapolis Md.

Average 0 out of 5