Welcome to the Dockwalk.com Forum

In order to post a comment in one of the forum topics, you must log in or sign up. Your display name will appear next to your posts unless you check the Post Anonymously box. When writing a post, please follow our forum guidelines. If you come across a post that you would like us to review, use the Report Post button. Please note the opinions shared in the forums do not necessarily reflect the views of Dockwalk.

RSS Feed Print
The captain is taking advantage....
Anonymous
Posted: Friday, July 2, 2010 9:46 PM

The first thing we were told by the captains wife when stepping aboard as newly employed crew, was never to tell the owners about the family and friends that were constantly being entertained and allowed to stay aboard while off charter. Little did we know that we would be cleaning up after the captain , his wife, family and friends almost 24/7 all year round on "THEIR" superyacht while they sat around eating , drinking and sleeping never lifting a finger to do any work.

When meeting previously employed crew on this particular vessel and crew who had worked for the same couple concerned on other vessels, we were told that they had resigned promptly for this exact reason.

Is this a common problem on other boats too. What is the best and most proffesional way to resolve this problem. Jobs are very difficult to find today so walking away from it and resigning is not an option ! Telling the owners could have other implications too, meaning we could all be without work.

Lori
Posted: Saturday, July 3, 2010 9:39 PM

Ask the owner(s) next time they're aboard:  Mr./Mrs . . . .

1)  How much notice do you require so I may schedule on board visits with my  
      family/friends?

2)  What do you consider a reasonable length of time to stay"? (i.e., 1 week, 2 weeks)

3)  Would the Master Stateroom be made available for my "guests"?

4)  How much notice is required to inform the crew of my expectation of full-service to
      be provided to my guests?

Yeah, I know . . . . a little passive-aggressive, but they'll catch on . . . . basically, all you really have to do is ask the first question . . . . they'll take over from there, I'm sure . . . .

no
Posted: Sunday, July 4, 2010 6:15 AM

Plain and simple, tell the owners !
Captain Andy
Posted: Sunday, July 4, 2010 7:14 AM

This is breaking one of the corner stones of yachting - the Captain being trusted with (possibly) the Owner's pride and joy ..... yet failing in his responsibility to look after it properely on behalf of the owner. A Captain should not be acting the way he is! I agree very much with Lori - speak with the owners! Remember, at some stage all yacht owners have put everything on the line to make that deal which put them where they are today. They willl not take kindly to there yacht being used like it is! Alternatively, if you have a Management company, request an interview with them and have your view on the situation formally recorded. If you do not have a management company, and you feel strongly about your situation, then write a letter and show it to a lawyer to make sure your bases are covered to protect against unfair dismissal. Be warned, if you speak to the Captain about this without formally recording your view somewhere, then he can fire you on alternative grounds to cover his tracks..... so you will be without a job! I'm sure you don't want that........
junior
Posted: Sunday, July 4, 2010 8:13 AM

Good Grief...Speak with the Owners ? Don't be a fool, you'll be on the beach , knee deep in wet sand working your way to windward in a minute. . I suggest you refer to your IBNA Yachtmaster manual , Chapter 12... "You gotta be in it to win it, Blackmail \ Extortion ". A Pro crews mission in life is to get in the face and into the pockets of pompous , gone to seed ,yacht captains. GO FOR THE FUN TICKETS. Your Iphone is your friend. Compile a fascinating, "Its a Captains World" , documentary . One month before your hard earned departure comes and you have a new ride to report to, Slam Dunk your captain with a Thank You note for the happy yachting memories and a link to the video. Then explain that he can either pack his bags and return unemployed to the Lauderdale Hall of Fame or for ten grand you would be happy to hand over the original and take down the YouTube link within 24 hours. . You gotta be in it to win it. Go for the fun tickets. Get in his face.
Anonymous
Posted: Sunday, July 4, 2010 11:44 AM
In Us They Trust! Happy Fourth of July!
Henning
Posted: Sunday, July 4, 2010 5:40 PM

The captain is taking advantage of the owner, now, how do you take advantage of the captain? You do not need to serve the captains guests for free, no no no... that's an extra $50hr. Take some pictures/video, you'll have him over a barrel, you charge him an extra $2500 a month out of his salary to keep your mouth shut, and oh yeah "Don't even think about firing me...".

Anonymous
Posted: Monday, July 5, 2010 10:25 PM
take a video clip on your digital camera of them entertaining all their friends aboard and post it on youtube under the boats name so it comes up if anyone enters your boats name on the internet, that should do the trick...hang em high sailor.
Capt.Phil
Posted: Tuesday, July 6, 2010 8:01 PM

No question, tell the owner immediately, that is disgraceful breach of trust.

Anonymous
Posted: Tuesday, July 6, 2010 8:40 PM
Defiinitely and tactfully tell the owner. Explain to him that there are serious liabilities involved if the captain's unauthorized guests are injured aboard the vessel. You are only concerned about the owner's best interest. That should just about do it.
Tiago Balsini
Posted: Tuesday, July 6, 2010 9:30 PM

Tell IMEDIATLY TO THE OWNER trought one FORMAL LETTER WITH some real pictures or video in attach by email or post. Its a bad behavior of the captain and desrespect all crew. He loose hes respect behind the crew, HE NEED TO BE REPLACED AND FIRED! The owner doens t like that off course!
Captain Brian
Posted: Tuesday, July 6, 2010 10:48 PM

Take your pictures and video.  Then send them to the owner with my CV attached.  I'll be very happy to run the boat the proper way.  I take my turn as a galley slave washing dishes and assisting the chef just like the rest of the crew.  I would love to know which boat this is.
Capt Kaj
Posted: Wednesday, July 7, 2010 8:44 AM

The answer is clear and simple, DOB THEM IN by a nice to the point letter and with a little bit of luck, you can look forward to greeting a professional Captain and Chief Stew´in the near future and ones that deserve to be employed. We definitely don´t need idiots like these 2, as we all know, the industry is full of them, 2 less would at least be a start in the right direction!

Capt Kaj

Anonymous
Posted: Wednesday, July 7, 2010 10:43 PM
PLEASE STOP ALL THIS NONSENSE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
since i have been in yachting this as been normal in the same way when skipper was abroad whe used the JACUZZZZZZZI,
what is the problem.??????
        BECOME A CAPTAIN AND TAKE THE STRAIN.
        TELL YOUR OWNER.
         MY CAPATAIN MAKE ME TAKE HIM TO THE AIRPORT !!!!!   ONCE   !!!!1
HE AS PICKED ME UP EVERYTIME I HAVEASKED HIM .
TALK ABOUT FIRE DRILLS, AND OTHER SAFETY AND SECURYTI  MATTERS AND IF YOU ARE NOT HAPPY WITH YOUR JOB............. ITS EASY.!!!!!!!!!

LEAVE.

YOU HAVE A JOB... STOP COMPLAYING.. AND DON IT.

An Owner
Posted: Thursday, July 8, 2010 7:25 PM

As an owner I can only say that I would be very grateful to any employee who would report such a breech of trust to me, directly, immediately and very discretely.

While evidence such as pictures or video will certainly make any defense impossible, I would never put that burden on an individual crew member who put themselves at risk to protect my interest. When you start video taping and recording people it leaves the crew open to law suits and attacks on themselves. I can't very well confront them with the evidence collected by individual crew members. I need to collect that evidence myself in order to protect my valued employees. You also need to understand that if they are doing this, then I am going to need a full, discrete, audit of the ships accounts and finances because the odds are they have been supplementing their lifestyle in other ways.

Some of you may not agree or may not have a problem with taking such a step on your own, however, keep in mind that the people described here are more than just a dishonest captain and his wife. Their primary occupation is that of a couple of con artists who are living a dual lifestyle. They are basically professional frauds. People that do this are not unintelligent and learn from past capers. You will need evidence of more than just one occurrence as they have probably gotten the okay from the boss for a family or friend to visit and are saving that for their excuse should they be confronted. You need to be prepared to show a pattern of abuse in order to prevent them from weaseling out of the situation.

Thanks for re-enforcing my belief that the vast majority of crew and captains are honest and decent people who wouldn't hesitate to do the right thing. Sometimes reading the threads here can really shake the faith.

Anonymous
Posted: Saturday, July 10, 2010 2:16 AM
I would leave. You don't want to stay on a yacht where the captain is unprofessional. Believe it or not, the boats you work on will follow you throughout the industry. Interview for another job with that boat/captain on your c/v and you may get questions that will be difficult to answer. Be careful about who you align yourself with. I stayed on a yacht with a crazy crew far longer than I should have. Having that boat on my c/v has not done me any favors. Walking in on the captain doing lines in the engine room was bad enough on it's own but then dealing with the moral dilemna of should I tell the owner or not was enough to make me leave. You'll always hear bs about the chain of command in this industry. Yes, it's a great thing but sometimes the top of the chain is the weak link. Bottom line, look out for yourself and always think about your future.
Rip
Posted: Monday, July 12, 2010 3:21 PM

Capt. Brian, you are my kind of captain! I salute you, sir! Let's get together and form a supercrew!!! hahahaa And An Owner, I appreciate your insight. I fairly recently had the great displeasure of working for a captain who was robbing the owner blind and we all new it. The owner was insanely great to work with and I had already begun negotiations with him on what it would take for me to stay on "in the event the captain had to be let go." (yeah, he was onto him already). Well, long story short, the captain got deservedly shit-canned....but the new captain came with his own crew and there was not much the owner the do to keep me on (small yacht, limited crew quarters). Basically, had I stepped up to the plate and confronted the owner personally, there may have been more time for the owner, myself, and the new captain to work something out. Sadly, it was an extremely rapid transition and I was left in the cold in the process. Not only did I lose my job, I also felt that I had done the owner a great injustice by not clueing him in to what was going on. Yes indeed, I double screwed myself. Damn I miss that boat and owner.

Average 0 out of 5