Welcome to the Dockwalk.com Forum

In order to post a comment in one of the forum topics, you must log in or sign up. Your display name will appear next to your posts unless you check the Post Anonymously box. When writing a post, please follow our forum guidelines. If you come across a post that you would like us to review, use the Report Post button. Please note the opinions shared in the forums do not necessarily reflect the views of Dockwalk.

RSS Feed Print
Cookware choice..
Marianne
Posted: Thursday, July 1, 2010 3:54 PM

I am choosing cookware for my new galley on a sailboat (very little storage) and was wondering if anyone knows of a good range of cookware, prefarably with removable or very small handles??

Cheers!

junior
Posted: Thursday, July 1, 2010 6:47 PM

Ive tried removable handle cookware . For me it was not worth the hassle and felt dangerous at sea. In Europe, Tefal makes a nice range of yacht quality cast Aluminium teflon coated cookware. http://www.tefal.es/Tefal+magazine/Hot+topics/premioinnovacion2010/producto+del+ano+2010.htm A suggestion for you is to sit down and think of 7 of your favorite, easy to provision for, easy to cook, tasty meals and then fit the galley out specifically to efficiently cook these 7 meals. Avoid a wish list of junk. Junk can be stored in the bilge for some far off need, not in the galley, not in the cooks face for the next 20 years. Be ruthless and compact. All our permanent galley mounted cookware, two fry pans , 4 pots are on the small side, 3 baking dishes, have tight fitting lids. The small size heats faster, is easier to clean, easier to store properly, efficiently uses 100 percent of the available cooker top and is easier to clamp down with a universal fiddle rail design. A very good tool in the galley is rice cooker. Rice is the Carbohydrate of choice at sea and a dedicated rice cooker frees up cooker top space and allows unattended cooking . . A counter top fixed electric tea kettle boils water much faster that a pot on the cooker. Remember that high sided cookware, baking dishes, for inside the oven must be well thought out, use 100 percent of the available inside space and be easy to clamp into the oven so they don't bash from side to side as you sail across the atlantic. Glass and crockery have no place on a sailing yacht. Cast aluminium teflon coated or plastics for the microwave. .
SailChica
Posted: Friday, July 2, 2010 6:09 PM

Have a look at the Cristel range - www.cristel.com. They are non-stick, have removable handles and stack neatly into each other for storage. Very good quality and stylish. Great for a small galley, I have been using them for a few years now and have no complaints.
Anonymous
Posted: Saturday, July 3, 2010 9:39 PM
Thanks for the advice...I am also in the middle of outfitting a new galley, but on an M/Y instead of a S/Y and I found this info very helpful. I forgot about the electric tea kettle.....would have been a big mistake. And the advice about choosing your top 7 recipes is so helpful! So thanks for the info, helped me heeps! Cheers

junior
Posted: Saturday, July 3, 2010 11:02 PM

Two additional , non cookware ,details that I appreciate on this yacht are a well thought out cutting board and a dedicated extractor fan to pull heat off the oven. The portable cutting board is a classic wood unit, modified by a carpenter to securely fit on top of the second sink basin. Very workable when at sea. The additional evacuation fan pulls residual heat off the oven body, substantial after a 1 or two hour bake, then vents it into the galley overhead extraction hood. keeps the galley cool and livable . Perhaps if you're still in the construction phase you can work it in.
Marianne
Posted: Tuesday, July 6, 2010 10:20 PM

Hi,

Thanks for the comments with advise. I have just been able to see the amount of storage in the Galley completely and am actually looking forward to the challenge of filling & not overfilling it..

Average 0 out of 5