Welcome to the Dockwalk.com Forum

In order to post a comment in one of the forum topics, you must log in or sign up. Your display name will appear next to your posts unless you check the Post Anonymously box. When writing a post, please follow our forum guidelines. If you come across a post that you would like us to review, use the Report Post button. Please note the opinions shared in the forums do not necessarily reflect the views of Dockwalk.

RSS Feed Print
Barcelona??
Dennis3000
Posted: Thursday, July 1, 2010 3:02 PM

Hey everyone, I am absolutely new to the yachting industry. I am taking a a time out from what I am used to right now. In fact, I have zero experience as of right now. I arrived in Barcelona today and I was wondering if Barcelona is a good place to get started. I was thinking of walking docks throughout July and August and get familiar with working on yachts and then try jobhunting for the carribean season. Now, i´ve been looking around port vell today and it seemed to me, that the guards don´t really let people in, who are not "authorised". Now, since I love BCN so much, I wouldlove to stay here for a couple of months and try getting started in the industry. I will definitely check out villanova grand marine next week. Did anyone make experiences in Barcelona? Which Yachtie Bars there are? Which agencies should i register with. Now I now, the industry is bigger in Palma, but as I said, I love being in BCN and unless you guys tell me, that it is rather impossible for a beginner to get started here, I would try my luck. Thanks in advance and thanks to all. I´m glad I found this site, it is very helpful and informative. EDIT: I have a a completed STCW95 btw
jakekaj
Posted: Saturday, July 3, 2010 12:03 PM

hey, barcelona is wicked. I dayworked there for a few seasons and found most of my work just wondering around and talking to people plus asking at boats. You won't get inside MB92 without a job although you can hang around that area and speak to people outside and also at the cafateria near there. Nearly all the bars down the MB92 end of Paseo Juan de Borbon are yachty jaunts. Fastnet comes to mind. Anyway yachties are pretty easy to pic! Finding your first job will be a lot more about your ability to do it rather than agencies. Good luck!
Capt Kaj
Posted: Monday, July 5, 2010 4:08 PM

Hi Dennis,

Beware BCN is full of petty thieves, especially around the old fishing part of the town near the shipyard and Port Vell. NEVER roll home pissed anywhere around that area, keep your whits about you, it is a notorious place to be at night, also the Borne is a pick pocket heaven.

Be Street wise! BCN isn´t what it used to be.

Palma is very quiet right now, no real daywork about. Good luck anyway!

Capt Kaj

Dennis3000
Posted: Thursday, July 8, 2010 12:26 PM

Thanks for the advice so far
maria praljak
Posted: Sunday, September 9, 2012 8:16 AM

hi
my name is maria and i am exacly in the same position as you were i just arrived to barcleona and looking for work as well just walking around
did you find work
are you still in barcelona

Petri
Posted: Thursday, October 4, 2012 6:06 PM

Hi there! Just came down to Tarragona, Spain. Does anybody need experienced OOW (STCW 95) , Master 500GRT plus loads Of certs? I am particulary intrested of delivery trips. I am available immediately. I have large yacht and cruise vessel experience. Thanks, Petri.

Average 0 out of 5