Welcome to the Dockwalk.com Forum

In order to post a comment in one of the forum topics, you must log in or sign up. Your display name will appear next to your posts unless you check the Post Anonymously box. When writing a post, please follow our forum guidelines. If you come across a post that you would like us to review, use the Report Post button. Please note the opinions shared in the forums do not necessarily reflect the views of Dockwalk.

RSS Feed Print
Cabin privacy
Skilled Engineers
Posted: Thursday, July 1, 2010 2:11 PM

Is it normal for the chief stew to go into your cabin and go through your cupboards and draws, look through your personal items and question you on what she finds? Can other crew go into your cabin and take stuff without telling you?
junior
Posted: Thursday, July 1, 2010 3:24 PM

Are you servicing her ? Perhaps shes jealous of another woman ? If you're not servicing her, then shes probably just another weird , in your face, chief stewardess. You have two choices when seeking redress. . The touchy feely " We can work it out " ........ Ft Lauderdale method of calling the Dorm Monitor on your floor, then filling in the 7 page complaint form... or.. seek justice the old fashion way , like the Kiwi in the above forum post .... with a left jab and a right hook . While youre considering your options Try this... purchase a dozen powerful, spring loaded, rat traps , mark the back of each with a magic marker saying...PLEASE STAY OUT ! then place these loaded rat traps discreetly among your belongings and wait for the SMACK !!.. scream... Once alerted, store your spanners neatly in your tool chest, take off your overalls , return to your cabin and calmly discuss the situation. Like a modern man..
rodsteel
Posted: Thursday, July 1, 2010 4:48 PM

Junior,

Do captains have this authority?

If so, can they delegate it? (i.e., to enforce certain policies - e.g., "no drugs" or "no weapons")

Rod

P.S. I have to wonder what was found that warranted "question"s

junior
Posted: Thursday, July 1, 2010 8:21 PM

I have no idea Rod. I work on a yacht whose schedule allows me to avoid any crew who could even remotely pose a future problem. Who the hell does this stewardess think she is ? The police need probable cause, search warrant to go into your house and investigate. If the captain had suspicions, then its his responsibility to take action, not covertly dispatch some Bimbo operative on a KGB fishing expedition into a crew members private space. . If the captain is so weak, so indecisive, that he cannot handle the situation with simple words then he should pack his golf clubs, climb back into his SUV, step on the gas and return to his retail job. If as captain I have any suspicion about drugs or guns in a crew members cabin, I will either smoke them out with an anounced customs inspection then fire the crew with the wet spots in their crew shorts or call the port police and seek advice. If their cabin is a pig pen I will sack them long before I physically enter their personal space. I never enter a crews private space, let alone rifle thru their personal gear. This morning I asked for permission to enter the crew cabin, empty a hanging locker and shut off the FW valve servicing the shower. Its critical to a crewmembers quality of life that Personal space be respected. The hallmark of an experianced profession crew is this abilty to respect all other crew members personal space. I feel sorry for the original poster . Id say his time is short...he is on a poorly run yacht. Get off as soon as you can find a new project. Blackball the stewardess and captain once in your new engine room. Half the comical personal crew breakdown issues you read about are instigated by an invasion of personal space .
Septic tank
Posted: Friday, July 2, 2010 10:09 AM

When this sort of crapp occured on my boat there was no directive to conduct a cabin search. It was is just a nosey Chief Stewardess searching through peoples stuff, looking for nothing in particular. This particular girl was very well known for eavesdropping, overstepping her bounds. On one occasion the Chief Stew was rummaging around in a cabin looking for epaulettes, because her boyfriend had lost his and her plan was to swipe the other deckhand’s epaulettes while nobody was in looking. Unfortunately for her the deckhand was in the toilet and caught her red handed searching through his belongings. No plausible excuse was given for the random search, other than a very red face. The other occasion she made an unauthorized search she found an old climbing harness another deckhand kept after it was thrown out. As Captain I changed boat policy to stop these cabin intrusions, everyone was expected to respect crew privacy.
kapt_mark
Posted: Friday, July 2, 2010 3:47 PM

I believe proper procedure is to enter the cabin for an inspection as a pair, to keep each other honest and avoid accusations of theft etc...One should be an officer or other senior crew. I remember one new deck hand who joined as new crew (March, 2009). He arrived in the afternoon, did the induction tour and then went to the shops. We did not see him again til 5pm the next day, after returning from sea trials. He missed our departure time off the dock at 10 am that morning. His bags were packed and passed to him as he tried to come up the passerelle. We had entered his cabin as a pair, inventoried and photographed all and packed it up. The only thing missing was a phone charger that a stew swiped.
Anonymous
Posted: Saturday, July 3, 2010 1:32 AM
Do none of you have ISM mandated cabin inspections on your yachts? Our ISM involves weekly inspections. This is primarily for heath and safety to ensure that "the company" is maintaining proper living standards for crew. Many crew might also want to consider that it is not "your cabin" but is a part of the yacht as much as a guest area is and therefore belongs to the owner. It is your duty to maintain your cabin like you would any other area of the yacht.
Henning
Posted: Saturday, July 3, 2010 4:46 AM

rodsteel wrote:

Junior,

Do captains have this authority?

If so, can they delegate it? (i.e., to enforce certain policies - e.g., "no drugs" or "no weapons")

Rod

P.S. I have to wonder what was found that warranted "question"s

Captains do have the authority to search personal property for contraband, and it can be delegated. In my experience is not, ad this is a poor way of doing the search.

I've had to do so under "suspicion" before. What I do is meet with the person and confront them straight up with my suspicions and give them an opportunity to confess. If they do and I watch whatever it is go overboard, case closed. If it does turn into a search, then we both go and take another member of the crew in their peer group as a witness.

Having a chief stew rifle through your stuff on her own initiative would be grounds for termination of the chief stew which I would most likely exercise.

Henning
Posted: Saturday, July 3, 2010 5:00 AM

Anonymous wrote:
Do none of you have ISM mandated cabin inspections on your yachts? Our ISM involves weekly inspections. This is primarily for heath and safety to ensure that "the company" is maintaining proper living standards for crew. Many crew might also want to consider that it is not "your cabin" but is a part of the yacht as much as a guest area is and therefore belongs to the owner. It is your duty to maintain your cabin like you would any other area of the yacht.

That's a completely different thing. It should be done together with the crew whose cabin it is, it should not involve going through the crew members' personal effects. Open the door, check general cleanliness and condition, check the head for same and it's done. I don't go through drawers and lockers. If I see things that aren't right (like mold growing and old food lying about) I instruct it to be cleaned and not to let that condition re-occur.

Skilled Engineers
Posted: Saturday, July 3, 2010 9:30 AM

So basically if a person (Chief Stew) is rummaging through your cabin and personal belongings without permission she should be fired. Cabin inspections related to cleanliness, safety and contraband are done only with the authority of the Captain and crew should be informed of this practice and whenever an official cabin search is done for official reasons it should be done in pairs and conducted in a formal manner. This certainly makes my situation very clear. Thank you all very much.
Capt Kaj
Posted: Monday, July 5, 2010 3:49 PM

I conduct Cabin inspections as part of my ISM and it is a Flag State requirement. The inspections and forms are quite clearly for 2 people and should be done by officers on a weekly basis. It is also for the ships stores. I have always carried out cabin inspections as it is part of good management onboard and sets the standards. Crew should be used to such inspections as it is part of the business. However, ratting through personal belongings isn´t, to me it sounds like there was an alterior motive, unless "she" was kinky and just liked the thought of doing something "naughty" but got caught in the act. However, imagine the uproar had the Engineer been caught ratting through the knicker draws of the Chief Stew! He would have been called a pervert and probably the Captain would have fired him! So where did the Captain sit with all this, probably on the fence because he had no teeth to do anything about it! Usual story. On the other hand, maybe the Chief Stew´ was a thief? Something´s not right here....

Capt Kaj

Anonymous
Posted: Monday, October 25, 2010 2:41 AM
Wow, freaky. In the commercial world where I have spent most of my career... Assuming you are not shagging the Chief Stew... if there is probable cause to search a crewman's room it is done with the door open, and TWO senior officers conducting the search or inspection, AND usually with the crewman present. Sounds like a poorly run ship you're on... But, I do have to wonder how you behaved to draw this type of attention to himself in the first place?? I do like the mouse trap idea, but a nanny-cam will also work. From a LEGAL standpoint, the Captain can order a search at any time or place. From a moral standpoint unannounced searches tend to scare off crew, unless there is an immediately compelling reason they should conduct a one-time unannounced search.
Anonymous
Posted: Monday, October 25, 2010 5:53 AM
WOW!!! Sounds like a cell check and strip search, the drug sniffing dogs having their way.
Not to worry, you've done nothing wrong and the Master holds the reins.

Anonymous
Posted: Wednesday, April 27, 2011 1:26 PM
I have experienced Nosey stews in my cupboards and draws on most boats.Most will be sneaky and do it when they know you are not around.I found put the last one when she was asking me for a pair of overalls that were mislaid....I didnt think I had them ,but she knew I did!!!.We don't get enough privacy as it is doing this job.Please Nosey Stews.....have some respect for peoples space.....one cupboard is not a lot to ask for,its not the point of anything to hide,its the point of having respect for other people. If the Capt. ever wants to inspect my cabin,he can after he has spoken to me first.An A4 note as you open my draw now reads "have some respect for other peoples privacy and keep the **** out of my cupboards" ,hope she found it .

Average 0 out of 5