Welcome to the Dockwalk.com Forum

In order to post a comment in one of the forum topics, you must log in or sign up. Your display name will appear next to your posts unless you check the Post Anonymously box. When writing a post, please follow our forum guidelines. If you come across a post that you would like us to review, use the Report Post button. Please note the opinions shared in the forums do not necessarily reflect the views of Dockwalk.

RSS Feed Print
Where should an experienced yacht chef be now?
Chef_Nat
Posted: Friday, June 25, 2010 5:30 PM

Hi everyone,

I am a yacht chef with 2 years of experience aboard sailing catamarans 25-30m. I am currently in Nova Scotia, Canada, having come here to visit friends and family during the shoulder season. My stay has lasted longer that I planned, and now I am ready to go back to sea.

My question is:

Where should I travel to to have the best shot of finding some work? Newport? Fort Lauderdale? Antibes? South Pacific? I am ready to travel at a moments notice and nowhere in the world is too far.

I appreciate any and all advice.

Cheers!

Anonymous
Posted: Friday, June 25, 2010 6:48 PM
A clever Chef would stay with his family and friends and use the internet and telephones to search for jobs .... if you are qualified and have excellent references, menu plans and photos it will take you milliseconds to get on your dream yacht!! Additionally, your travel expenses will be met by the yacht which will probably equate to internet and telephone use...... nuff said really!! Sadly, if you're not qualifed as a Professional Chef aim at a Second Chef or a Crew Chef position until you are known .... a well fed crew is a very happy and talkative crew .... they will be your business cards!! LOL
Chef_Nat
Posted: Friday, June 25, 2010 7:07 PM

Thanks Anonymous. This is my strategy for now, but no luck so far. Cheers!

Anonymous
Posted: Friday, June 25, 2010 7:14 PM
Nat, I agree .... try using telephones and internet its far quicker and much cheaper! I have heard on the grapevine that there is a shortage of good chefs in the Med. Try the following sites: YCO Crew, JF Recruiting, YPI Crew, Blue Water Crew, Peter Insull's and Camper Nicholson. Make sure you bag is packed read to go though .....

Average 0 out of 5