Welcome to the Dockwalk.com Forum

In order to post a comment in one of the forum topics, you must log in or sign up. Your display name will appear next to your posts unless you check the Post Anonymously box. When writing a post, please follow our forum guidelines. If you come across a post that you would like us to review, use the Report Post button. Please note the opinions shared in the forums do not necessarily reflect the views of Dockwalk.

RSS Feed Print
Used/Surplus Sailcloth?
Cassandra Vitale
Posted: Monday, June 21, 2010 7:59 PM

From a friend in the Peace Corps in Woleai, Micronesia:

"The people on Woleai have the most beautiful sailing canoes that they use for fishing and traveling between islands. But they have not been able to use their canoes for a few years because they have no sails."

I'm reaching out to the marine community to see if anyone has any used or surplus sailcloth. I will arrange for it to be picked up and shipped to the island. As of now the islanders have lost their inter-island trade and communication, and I'm sure they'd be absolutely grateful.  As it stands, a mailboat comes once a month, and that is their only chance to courier things between islands.  Please call or email for more information!

Thank you -
Cassandra Vitale
732-213-4766
vitaleca@gmail.com

junior
Posted: Monday, June 21, 2010 10:25 PM

Contact any sailmaker....they look at me with stern eyes whenever I purchase a new sail and give them the old 100kg bag of spectra back for disposal.
Henning
Posted: Tuesday, June 22, 2010 11:08 AM

What happened to their palm fronds to weave sails from? What has the Peace Corps done to these poor people? They used to make the sails out of what grew on the islands.... Or was it the missionaries telling them "Pray and God will provide...".

Average 0 out of 5