Welcome to the Dockwalk.com Forum

In order to post a comment in one of the forum topics, you must log in or sign up. Your display name will appear next to your posts unless you check the Post Anonymously box. When writing a post, please follow our forum guidelines. If you come across a post that you would like us to review, use the Report Post button. Please note the opinions shared in the forums do not necessarily reflect the views of Dockwalk.

RSS Feed Print
New boy engineer offering free time
guillaume
Posted: Sunday, June 20, 2010 6:56 PM

Hi there, I am a fully qualified HGV technician who is looking to break in to the yachting industry. I have 10 years of experience working with diesel engine diagnosis. I am willing to do some free time in return for opportunity to prove myself and get the initial experience working on a yacht. I am an easy going and friendly person that can easily adapt to any kind of surroundings and will easily fit in with the crew. I have STCW95 and ENG1. If interested please send me an email on shuck01@hotmail.com. I am available for work anywhere on the French Riviera all the way to San Remo. YOU HAVE NOTHING TO LOSE!
Henning
Posted: Sunday, June 20, 2010 7:03 PM

guillaume wrote:
 YOU HAVE NOTHING TO LOSE!

If that were only true. In this industry, simple mistakes can cost hundreds of thousands monetarily not to mention lives. Saying one has nothing to lose is a declaration of naivete`.

guillaume
Posted: Sunday, June 20, 2010 7:44 PM

I am very responsible and safety conscience person that has a lot of experience in my line of work. I am not looking for a captain’s position but merely for an opportunity to learn along someone who knows what they are doing.
Henning
Posted: Monday, June 21, 2010 9:19 AM

Not disputing that that may be true, just saying that you can't expect somebody who doesn't know you from Adam to accept that as fact just on your say so. Since you most likely aren't insured for any damage that may befall, to say that there is "No Risk" is false. There is a risk, and in this industry it's generally a high risk, that you are incompetent at what you claim to be able to do and will break something expensive. That's just an overall fact that is at its worst on the engineering side of this industry, it's not a statement against you personally.

To think that anyone in the position of hiring you would put any weight to that statement is naive. It's just a statement better left off because it actually counts as a negative toward taking you on. What you need to do is do some dock and yard walking. You need to start with daywork on boats in refit, or get a job with a yard. I worked for yards for about 4 years when I started out and have worked in them in and out for another 20. You will learn a lot, and in the yard, it is a low risk to take you on. As vessel crew, where I am limited in how many crew I can have, normally I need my engineer staff to be a fully capable and preferentially cross trained on the deck with an OOW and able to stand a watch. Very few crew on a working boat have only one job slot that they fill. You already know engines, now work in the yards for a couple of years and learn boats. Boats have a lot of idiosyncrasies that require things to be substantially different than in an onshore environment or you can destroy the vessel quickly. After that, add an engineers rating to your CV. Then go look for a crew position from the standpoint of qualified and competent crew.

Average 0 out of 5