Welcome to the Dockwalk.com Forum

In order to post a comment in one of the forum topics, you must log in or sign up. Your display name will appear next to your posts unless you check the Post Anonymously box. When writing a post, please follow our forum guidelines. If you come across a post that you would like us to review, use the Report Post button. Please note the opinions shared in the forums do not necessarily reflect the views of Dockwalk.

RSS Feed Print
Yachting after High School
btharris
Posted: Sunday, June 20, 2010 3:20 AM

Hi all, I just graduated high school and I would like to try working as a deckhand before I go to college. I'm wondering what are the bennefits of a college degree in this industry, and how big of a difference does it make when seeking employment? Thanks!
Anonymous
Posted: Sunday, June 20, 2010 5:47 AM
Makes no difference unless it is a nautical college.
Henning
Posted: Sunday, June 20, 2010 6:54 AM

Well, if you graduate from a major Party U., at least your alcohol tolerance will be up to snuff. If you're 18, nothing holding you back at this point. If you're serious about it as a career, go to one of the maritime colleges and come out with a 3rd mate Unlimited ticket and with a season of seatime, most nations will sign off a 1600GT Master's. You'll have the opportunity to have most all your testing through Master Unlimited done so upgrades from 3rd mate are seatime and partials if that. That will qualify you on the really big over 100 meter yachts. It gets more and more difficult to "hawsepipe" your way into an Unlimited ticket.

junior
Posted: Sunday, June 20, 2010 9:13 AM

Yachting is a very poor Wild West career choice and it will only get worse. 100's of personnel available for each job and a sea full of flakey overextended yacht owners . Best to go to college, then crew as a summer job. If you re wondering what to do at college give Texas A and M a buzz, enroll in the Geology program. Shortage of geologists, graduates making 100 thousand a year fresh out of school. http://geology.wwu.edu/dept/students/New%20geology%20graduates%20see%20gold.pdf
Dean
Posted: Sunday, June 20, 2010 9:39 AM

A college education enables people to convert their jobs into careers. Forgoing a solid education for adventure may sound cool, but in all actuality it is not prudent to flounder through life without a qualification that defines who you are and what you can achieve. Without my technical college education I’d be half the engineer I am today, because the fundamental knowledge and learning techniques I use each day where perfected during my adult education. Gaining a qualification and working through the learning process within an adult environment makes people more accountable for their knowledge. High school is about what you must learn, whereas college is about what you wish to learn. A college education is very worthwhile, especially when you are being considered for management level positions. Because knowing how to teach yourself new skills and constantly improving your on the job knowledge gives you an edge in the workplace. I’ve seen far too many crew struggle and then fail in management level jobs because their literacy, numeracy and computer skills are weak. Achieving your peak potential requires you to avoid career plateau, by this I mean you must manage your life well, build a solid foundation that enables you to climb the career ladder and go well beyond your potential today, because the future can take you anywhere if you exceed your expectations today imagine what is possible when you have more life experience.
btharris
Posted: Sunday, June 20, 2010 6:51 PM

Thanks for all the replies! Other than the STCW-95, would you reccomend any other tickets I should get to start out? Thanks!
Henning
Posted: Sunday, June 20, 2010 6:57 PM

STCW-95 Basic is the primary one, and depending on where you are working, a powerboat ticket may be required to allow you to run the tender. To start with, that will be all you need.

Bluewater
Posted: Monday, June 21, 2010 8:32 AM

we provide a summer school in Antibes over July & August for teens from 15-18 looking to learn more about what the industry has to offer... There are three courses: yachting in action (10days): stcw95, powerboat level II, jet ski certificate & vhf young chefs (5 days): all the basics needed to become confident and creative in the kitchen young engineers (5days): basic engines... hands on practical experience on boats cars and pleasure craft for more information please contact training@bluewateryachting.com or call +3 34 93 34 47 73!
junior
Posted: Monday, June 21, 2010 9:31 AM

If your American check Community Colleges for USCG approved course work. Much cheaper and taught in an educational environment but unfortunately No free beer tickets with each module. Google search the community colleges in your area. http://www.clatsopcollege.com/maritime/ And remember, the most versatile crew on yachts are commercially trained and licensed with additional yachty courses in flower arrangement and wine tasting to achieve the coveted crew agent 5 star seal of approval.
Henning
Posted: Monday, June 21, 2010 9:42 AM

OCCC in Newport Beach CA used to have a really good program....even though I smote their guys regularly in the Beer Cans with a Balboa Boat Rental Rhodes 19...

junior
Posted: Monday, June 21, 2010 10:40 AM

When I was too young to sit for the USCG license my father sent me to the US Power Squadron to learn all course work including Nautical Astronomy. It was very cheap and this Power Squadron class room preparation allowed me to simply walk into the USCG testing center Baltimore and sit for my exam. Addition course work was thru the local Community college. Many community colleges offer individual courses. My father was retired FCC and taught GMDSS at the local college. Cheap As chips.
junior
Posted: Monday, June 21, 2010 11:15 AM

And remember...everyone on the water needs a young guy around. If you live near the water cruise down and ask every Yacht Broker, Shipyard, Yacht Captain ....you see, for after school, weekend work. Always endless work around the Yachts and by doing these little jobs for chump change, you will be able to get on the inside of the scene....everyone will know your face.. and you avoid the demoralizing fiasco of being too old, too young, wrong colour hair, too tall, not enough experience, too much experience, wrong kind of experience......... when searching for opportunities thru crew agents....
btharris
Posted: Monday, June 21, 2010 2:24 PM

Ok thanks! I'm actually going to be in Rhode Island for a few weeks this summer, would it make sense to go over to Newport in July?
Henning
Posted: Tuesday, June 22, 2010 11:11 AM

You bet.

Average 0 out of 5