Welcome to the Dockwalk.com Forum

In order to post a comment in one of the forum topics, you must log in or sign up. Your display name will appear next to your posts unless you check the Post Anonymously box. When writing a post, please follow our forum guidelines. If you come across a post that you would like us to review, use the Report Post button. Please note the opinions shared in the forums do not necessarily reflect the views of Dockwalk.

RSS Feed Print
Millions or Billions
Anonymous
Posted: Wednesday, June 9, 2010 3:02 PM
Is it just me?____ It seems that working for a person worth billions is more stable than working a guy worth a few million. I've worked for both and let's just say, if your on a good program don't be foolish and change jobs cause a captain tells you that he thinks your great and he can offer more, because what is said and what is done are two different things, especially when your boss what's champa's on a redneck beer budget.
An Owner
Posted: Wednesday, June 9, 2010 6:16 PM

Anonymous wrote:
Is it just me?____ It seems that working for a person worth billions is more stable than working a guy worth a few million. I've worked for both and let's just say, if your on a good program don't be foolish and change jobs cause a captain tells you that he thinks your great and he can offer more, because what is said and what is done are two different things....

Net worth doesn't tell the story in many cases. I know people who claim to be billionaires but couldn't write a check to for 1/10 of that without liquidating assets. I have known owners that are absolutely loved and have a fraction of my net worth. The main things that good owners have in common is a) A belief that budgets are guidlines, not chains. And B) An investment in a Captain dedicated to one goal. To find the absolute best potential candidate for each and every position, and to make it clear from day one that this is a long term career, not a stepping stone.

There are other things too look for. Does the owner put the boat up for charter? If so, why? Is it to keep the crew busy or is it to help make ends meet. The latter is a warning sign.

Is the owner accessible, does everyone have his phone number in their pocket at all times?  Does he request of the captain to meet prospective hires before the captain makes the final decision or does he lock himself into his office with only a limited number of people allowed to communicate. Is his door open to all at any time? Does he know every member by name and know them as well as they know him?

Looking to better one's own position in life is natural. A good owner/captain would wish them well and leave the door open when they lean how well they had it. Not consider it a betrayal and burn the bridge of return.

The ideal owner which many strive to be is taking pride in requiring the captain to  create an environment where no crew ever looks at another boat with envy. It costs little and pays massive dividends in the end.

Besides, my captain hates training new people.

Average 0 out of 5