Welcome to the Dockwalk.com Forum

In order to post a comment in one of the forum topics, you must log in or sign up. Your display name will appear next to your posts unless you check the Post Anonymously box. When writing a post, please follow our forum guidelines. If you come across a post that you would like us to review, use the Report Post button. Please note the opinions shared in the forums do not necessarily reflect the views of Dockwalk.

RSS Feed Print
Where is the industry going?
Anonymous
Posted: Monday, June 7, 2010 6:51 PM
Where is the industry going? 6 years of my life and nearly USD 60 000 to get a Class IV and then no decent jobs ...... unbelievable! What's your advice?
Anonymous
Posted: Monday, June 7, 2010 8:05 PM
Nothing in life lasts forever and this would also include the current slump we are experiencing in yachting. The industry as far as I am concerned is heading towards more regulation and less fun. The good old days are long gone, these days there is an endless supply of new regulation and a constant shift in qualification requirements. Yachting is being pushed towards convention and these turbulent times are an outcome of the changes heading our way. Everything from immigration law to taxation is going to be more difficult to evade. The status quo is always going to be change and those unwilling to change and keep pace with the professional demands of yachting will undoubtedly fall by the wayside. For every greenhorn looking to break into the industry there is a proportional number of veteran crew trying to remain viable and/or secure a shore based opportunity that can sustain them. Any enterprise can make you wealthy when you mix good fortune, persitence and dedication to achieve your goals Yachting has not made me wealthy, yachting has made me wise and those that seek easy money fancy job tittles should look for opportunities elsewhere, because yachting is long hours, hard work and a career path that demands you put your life on hold while the wealthy enjoy yachting. Yachting is going to become more serious and weed out the transient riff raff that congest our industry.
awesomedudes
Posted: Tuesday, June 8, 2010 3:36 AM

aw, bummer...i guess that means you half witted foreign nationals inside the states can't get our jobs anymore. damn. i'm sorry...
Henning
Posted: Tuesday, June 8, 2010 4:08 AM

Gee, all of 6 years of your life invested and $60k (BTW, HTF did you spend $60k on a license?) and there is no "great" job for you. Well guess what, do like everyone else at times like that and take a sh-t job. Actually, the oilfields are hiring and paying unheard of high wages these days. Go do that for a year or two and bank some money and get some real boat handling experience.

junior
Posted: Tuesday, June 8, 2010 2:39 PM

Whoa !! You telling me that youve been digging your class IV hole for six years and 60 thousand big ones....WHOA !!! you must have gone thru a whole forest of pencils. Best advice I can give is that once you've dug a hole that deep...you might as well keep on digging till you strike pay dirt. To liberate that pay dirt Id advise you make a quick trip to the bank...withdraw 60 thousand Euros this time, 500 notes stack discreetly into an envelope, put on your best captains uniform, walk to the local crew agent, plop that 60k wedge on the table and ask em' for a job. Im sure that once the crew agent gets to grips with your class IV and understands your pedigree ......PRESTO......here comes your nice new white boat command....
Randall
Posted: Tuesday, June 8, 2010 7:38 PM

Man I feel terrible for you I happen to have a deal for you though...I know of a 50'er looking for a part time captain..pay is 125k a year..you will have a full time chef, stew, and cleaning crew at your disposal. The bad news is that the owners use the boat 3 times a year and it's usually on weekends...Sucks I know..BUT.. On the other side of that you dictate the program, when and where you want the boat and they come to you!! Just pm me your USCG license # and resume and I will forward it for you. Best wishes!
Anonymous
Posted: Tuesday, June 8, 2010 8:03 PM
Are you sure talking about industry ? Few years ago captain and crew don't spent any money to learn. They learn at sea for small fees. They enjoy, owner and guest enjoy to be out of any industry, and the fleet was growing up in the same profile. You spend money in the industry find a job in B.P. not in the yacht dream.
Kaj
Posted: Wednesday, June 9, 2010 8:30 AM

Well after getting your Class 4 you must have gained some reasonable experience, I say "reasonable" in italics because sometimes that experience is dubious, but on the other hand you may have logged some tremendous experience which has earnt you your Class 4. The Class 4 has changed so much since it was first brought in, back in the days when it was alot easier to attain, it has gotten harder but still needs to be tightened up, after all the 3000t license isn´t like driving a tender round the harbour!

Like some of the other comments, look at taking lesser jobs, mates, bosun, driving a smaller yacht. I am not sure if you are looking in all areas? Go for part time work, deliveries, offer the first month employment for free, walk walk walk the docks, knock on every door and passerail, look at every yacht as a possibility and never think they don´t need you because that yacht probably does, get a familiarity with the agencies, but obce you have that job you are looking for, don´t forget the agencies or agency who helped you!

The yachting situation is not going to get any easier this side of 2011 that´s for sure. Yes there are loads of new builds coming out, but sadly we still are in short supply of true professionals. Also unfortunately there are loads of STCW 95´ Basic Crew but with no experience at all hiking the docks looking for the deck and stew´positions and a fair amount of experienced upper level crew hunting. Sadly there are still way too many idiots in our industry qualified and un-qualified we would love to weed out. It will be a long time before the industry has a good level of professionalism in it, maybe never. Don´t give up on the job hunting, think outside the norm!

Capt Kaj

Anonymous
Posted: Wednesday, June 9, 2010 4:24 PM
yeah too many STCW 95 Basic Safety Training holders looking for deck and stew positions... and causing a huge lack of professionalism in this industry.. that's such an unfortunate situation. most of the real "professionals" think that same way. but you must have started somewhere too, and when you were just starting you were as unprofessional as I am now.. to become a professional I need someone to give me the chance to start right? but it looks like most of people like you are just looking for experienced crew and are not helping that much us "unprofessionals" to become professional ones. you talk about us like we were just a bunch of backpackers looking for a luxury vacation. we are not all the same, some of us are really hardworking, and really trying to start a new carreer, committed and willing to learn, and investing a lot of money just to do everyday, for months, the same thing: walking the freacking docks. and all of this for what? just for having to deal with people like you talking shit about us "cause we are newbies and we just mess up with your own beloved industry". that's nice, and motivating. thanks a lot.
Anonymous
Posted: Wednesday, June 9, 2010 7:13 PM
Did'nt the 'Class IV' die off about 5 years ago to be replaced by the MCA Master of Yachts <3000 tons? Which is when the last batch of 'chamois drivers' got grand fathered in with no oral exams and usually very dubious sea time on very small vessels, often not meeting the minimum 50' vessel size requirement.
Anonymous
Posted: Wednesday, June 9, 2010 7:50 PM
For awsomeduds Dont understand how you think that you own the industry.... but if you think that it just for USA nationals (which are defiantly the minority)and that your so good at what u do, why are the majority of vessel not US flagged. Sure, part of it is to do with Tax ...... but makes you think eh!
Jonathan Clark
Posted: Wednesday, June 9, 2010 7:58 PM

I totally agree and I have recently passed my STCW 95, RYA 2 and ENG 1. I have had prior experience in the Royal Navy for a number of years. Just because I don't have any real experience on yachts doesn't mean to say that I have no experience at sea, believe me the RN work you hard. A very high percentage of us wanting to break into the industry are hard working, motivated and professional be it from different backgrounds.  It doesn't bode very well when individuals in the industry run down the newbies and green horns...it's a real shame . Maybe a shot of "new blood" and getting rid of some of the "old wood" would do the industry some good?!

Regards

JC

Anonymous
Posted: Wednesday, June 9, 2010 9:14 PM
I have had some experience within the yachting world and this season has been horrific looking for work.  Have been in Antibes 5 weeks.  Funally enough my first season was much easier only here two weeks then. How does that work??  I have also found that no experience outside of the yachting world seems to count for anything, its totally riduclous and how on earth do you gain experience when your not allowed in, its absolutely bloody crazy.
forgettingallthosepasswords_awesomedudes
Posted: Wednesday, June 9, 2010 11:58 PM

Anonymous wrote:
For awsomedudes Dont understand how you think that you own the industry.... but if you think that it just for USA nationals (which are defiantly the minority)and that your so good at what u do, why are the majority of vessel not US flagged. Sure, part of it is to do with Tax ...... but makes you think eh!

stop being so naive and stupid about generalizing any American's reasons over illegal employment issues here in the states.  everyone understands that there is an "inter" national component to this biz. and most of us do NOT take issue with that. so stop playing the "nationality-card".

i get the fact that the Med/ Europe has it's own yachting biz along with other regions throughout the world. and nice try on putting down American yachties...how many times have i seen foreign nationals stupidly clean a toilet with Windex...or clean a teak with Cascade half assed without any real work into it. lame.

don't even get me started on personalities or the lack there of.  just be glad that American yacht owners (the majority of yacht owners. period.) are fickel when it comes Europeans and English internationals as novelties. that's basically why more people like you are cleaning toilets and swabbing decks...you genius.

Anonymous
Posted: Thursday, June 10, 2010 5:07 AM
Ironically enough this business has become less professional with regulation.______Crew think the world of themselves and have a feeling of entitlement that confounds and angers me._______I’ve no time for fools that think that spending an overly large amount of money to attain a whimsical qualification that is absolutely worthless outside of yachting makes them worthwhile. People, you can either do the job or not, if you think you’re a good engineer, deckhand, mate or captain take your “Y” qualification and try getting a job on a commercial ship, passenger ferry or fishing vessel and see how long you last.______When you see how many people are truly skilled at their jobs and how many that are not you wonder how yachting and professional can be used in the same sentence.______It is not coincidence that the laziest and most outspoken deck monkey’s and grease mechanics I work with fail their exams and eventually return to whence they came.______To know where yachting is going we need only look at the quality of people being drawn into the business._______Yachting is in a slump and the overabundance of greenhorns and unemployed veterans that congests the docks is testament to this simple fact.______Yachting hit the bricks in 1989 and recovered,______it hit the bricks in the mid to late 1990’s and recovered, then is rocketed upwards for a good period until 2009.______When the economy picks up yachting will too, increased trucking, shipping and air transportation will be the first sign of improvement, more stable international currencies and a return to high mortgage rates are good indicators for positive change. Just look at www.zillow.com and see how much home prices in American have dropped and consider the damage that has occurred to people and their families since 2008 and then you may understand how much time it will take to get things back on track.
junior
Posted: Thursday, June 10, 2010 7:10 AM

You newcomers should keep a good attitude, keep your demands modest and realize that the yacht scene is a bit slow these days. Since I run a private boat, Im not privy to the charter scene and I cant comment on how the season is unfolding. . I have not read anything on dockwalk concerning West Mediterranean high season Cannes Film festival,Gran Prix charter activity ? Anybody done these ?. What I can pass on is that we have been on the boil for over 6 weeks now. 7 days Balearic Islands cruise , two week South France Sardinia cruise , 10 days Ionian Greece cruise and I am presently Lying Zaton Croatia awaiting the next group of guests. During this period...1968 miles of sailing and many ports I have not seen ONE...I repeat..... have not seen One big charter yacht on station working. Yesterday ,when clearing customs in Dubrovnik, the harbour of Gruz was nearly empty.Two sleepy yachts. In past years Gruz was wall to wall mega yachts. I suspect that this will be a late...when the kids get out of school.....season and that any new crew should conserve firepower, stay busy dayworking and concentrate on joining the fleet when the yachts actually activate for the season.
Anonymous
Posted: Friday, June 11, 2010 11:16 PM

Not to be a cynic, but truly sober... Are you under 30yrs. and can you list your last Abercrobie and Fich photo shoot on your CV?. In this market and sorry any market the only thing that counts is looks and charm. The competiton for the best looking crew (boat) and only if a miricle happens...professional crew?. Its not what you know but who you know. The suggestion Re dropping dollars and "buying a position" might work albeit the physical /charm criteria are in play. 

Smart men and women who present them selves well witih academics, commomn (Sea) sence, and burning desire to preform are all at the docks. Look at the strong response you got from this posting.

Market your self !. Have you taken out an add in The Triton, Dockwalk?. And what is up with your schools why can't they get you some satissfaction? (mmm dropping a dime here might work they took all your dollars). Are you on all the bullliton boards arround town , Smallwoods, online sights.  You get the drift. "hard times call for hard people - gorilla tactics I say"  Atleast then you will know one way or the other. Good Luck!

Average 0 out of 5