Welcome to the Dockwalk.com Forum

In order to post a comment in one of the forum topics, you must log in or sign up. Your display name will appear next to your posts unless you check the Post Anonymously box. When writing a post, please follow our forum guidelines. If you come across a post that you would like us to review, use the Report Post button. Please note the opinions shared in the forums do not necessarily reflect the views of Dockwalk.

RSS Feed Print
IYT vs MPT
Patrick
Posted: Thursday, May 27, 2010 12:38 PM

IYT vs MPT (Fort Lauderdale)? Which is the better school and which is more recognized? With all discounts the courses I want to do are about the same price. Any suggestions? Has anyone done their OOW at either school?
Anonymous
Posted: Friday, May 28, 2010 7:04 PM
Patrick; Both schools have pros and cons, the most important issue is that you are advancing your career and so will benefit. I would try one school first, maybe IYT so you don't limit yourself, and then try MPT for STCW95 and determine which is best from your own experience. Good luck
Captain Brian
Posted: Friday, May 28, 2010 9:26 PM

I can not say anything bad about IYT, but the people from the front office staff to the Instructors at MPT have allways exceeded my exspectations !
Anonymous
Posted: Saturday, May 29, 2010 3:38 PM
I would never usually comment on these forums, but feel very strong about this. My experience with MPT for an OOW course was extremely poor from start to finish, Initially after being instructed 3 times they took the course fees from the wrong account. Then on day 1 we were given the incorrect study material, then the actual instructor on our course was so out of his depth that after a week we complained and he was replaced,all be it by a competent guy,but after already losing the first week 6 out of 8 of us failed, there was also a guy who was re doing the course as he had failed on the previous one and he told us the previous course had been just as dismal. After trying to complain on many occasions the powers that be proved to be very elusive,and when I did reach them they were just as disorganised in trying to reach a solution. The bottom line is they are in my mind very happy to sign you up and take your hard earned cash,then they don't want to know when you complain as they fail to deliver!! IYT on the other hand from my experience are more than happy to give you a personal and professional service. If i were you I would give MPT a miss at all costs.
captpage
Posted: Sunday, May 30, 2010 2:27 AM

Wait a minute...I have a Duelly Master/CME all work done at MPT and it all was great

No bull shit, No fudging, just plain professional.  MPT would not be the best in the world

if any thing was faulty.  So please look hard - But after many years with MPT - I do not have

any problem about highly suggesting you go to MPT.  The world goes to MPT...period!

GOD Speed and the best - Page

Henning
Posted: Sunday, May 30, 2010 6:53 AM

It wouldn't surprise me that you both had the exact experiences you relate, they are schools run and staffed by humans. I've never done any classes at IYT, but I did my MCA Business & Law as well as ARPA and a Radar Observer Unlimited re-up for USCG & STCW renewal at MPT and had no bad experience with them and even got some "free" sim time on the big sim docking a cruise ship at Gibraltar.

Harland
Posted: Sunday, May 30, 2010 12:06 PM

i went to mpt for my stcw 95...i have crewed on more yachts without it, and after i got mine, the total number of yachts i have been hired on-zero..dont know what that's all about, but have s patent pending invention, so i really dont care anymore...
Coppo
Posted: Sunday, May 30, 2010 3:38 PM

I have taken all my training at MPT and I have always found them to be very helpful and professional. I have no complaints at all, only positive things to say about MPT.
trevor timmers
Posted: Monday, May 31, 2010 9:15 PM

Hey Patrick,
I was in the same position as you a few months ago when looking at schools to do my training and chose IYT so of course i will be biased but from talking to many people the main point that comes up is usually the organization of IYT is slightly better with payment and the enrollment process than MPT. My crew house mates always told me go to MPT because everyone passes and the stcw95 takes less time at MPT (personally i don't think that is a good thing) and the best thing i found from IYT was the resources! The manuals provided are excellent, well organized and i refer back to them all the time anyway good luck swimming the sea of suggestions!

Anonymous
Posted: Tuesday, June 1, 2010 12:46 AM
I've recently done OOW and Chief Mate with some modules at each. I found IYT better organised, with smaller classes and better teachers, although for one module the teacher was a little average. I also found IYT had better course notes. I found MPT to be maybe more interested in getting money and bums on seats than getting the point across. One class I did had about 30 people in it, and the other was about 25. At $1000+ for a 3 or 4 day module I'd expect smaller classes and better course notes/facilities. In all honesty, if I had the choice again I would probably go to Warsash. I have heard good things about it, and I along with others I have spoken to feel the some of the courses at both IYT and MPT are perhaps not as challenging or covering all the bases like at Warsash. It's the toss up of whether you want to just get the tickets or actually get a 100% in depth and full understanding of what your learning... That was my experience anyway! Hope it helps
Anonymous
Posted: Tuesday, June 1, 2010 4:13 PM
I can only imagine that they are both better than a certain MCA college that is in the southern hemisphere.. you can guess which one I mean...
Patrick
Posted: Wednesday, June 2, 2010 12:48 PM

Thanks guys for the advise.
Miki Brettschneider
Posted: Wednesday, June 2, 2010 6:02 PM

I have done all my training at MPT and have loved every moment of it.I find that they have the best facilities,instructors,and material.I wouldn't choose anywhere else to study.
Anonymous
Posted: Wednesday, June 2, 2010 9:42 PM
If you've done all your training with one company how can you compare it with another?

Anonymous
Posted: Thursday, June 3, 2010 3:02 PM
Good point. It seems the only people who are happy with MPT are the ones who haven't tried elsewhere, probably all coast guard stuff aswell!
Gary
Posted: Tuesday, August 3, 2010 7:29 PM

I've taken classes at both MPT and IYT - whichever school you (or anyone) choose, my greatest words of advice is to be very careful on how much of the text material you take to be current and complete. Along with the study material they provide, research the regulations and references on the internet to see if rules have changed or if there is more to the story of what they are teaching. I recently completed my Y3 training and found numerous (over 70) errors in the text material provided. These errors were mainly due to the material not being updated, some areas were still quoting MARPOL regs that were changed back in 2002. Many of the M-notices that were quoted had been either deleted or updated by the MCA. SI references had either been changed or amended. It finally got to the point that I had to research every reference (M-note, SI, IMO reference, etc…) in the text material as none of it could be trusted. I also recommend that, prior to taking any advanced courses, check around to see if you can get your hands on the training material from other schools. Materials provided for my Y4 courses a few years ago was extremely inadequate and several of the questions on the SQA tests were NOT covered in the material provided but WAS covered in text material I had gotten elsewhere. I understand that in this age of changing rules and endless amounts of info, no course can be 100% accurate but when I pay almost $2000 for a 5-day class, I expect to be provided with the most updated and complete text material available. The amount (or lack) of material that was provided, along with the material that misrepresented current rules, was inexcusable for the money I paid. Had I not done my due diligence (research), there is NO WAY I would have passed any of the SQA tests. When I inquired with management as to why the study material was lacking and outdated, I was told "This is the material we are approved to use". This was sooooo the wrong answer and showed a complete lack of understanding of the importance of updated information on the part of the school. Unfortunately there’s only 2 MCA approved schools in the US (if there are more, please let me know) - I think that if there was more competition for MPT and IYT then they would have to do a better job in providing correct and updated material. MCA classes outside of the US may also be an option but check the cost - some are outrageously over priced. There are many places in the US that offer USCG courses which means that there is a good bit of competition for your money, if any of them fall behind in their performance then they will soon see a reduction in enrollment. Be careful of the on-line courses - some are just material that has been copied from the major maritime school text books from around the world. Trust me on this one - $285 got me material that I already had - WORD FOR WORD !! Where ever you decide to go, ask around first and try to find some folk that have already taken classes there before making any commitments. Anyone can make a school sound good on a web site but word of mouth will always be the best (or worst) advertisement. With the above said, I can't say enough about the folks at MPT. I'm always greeted there by someone that knows me by name and have never (that I can remember) been treated as just a number.
Ask Amy
Posted: Tuesday, August 3, 2010 8:40 PM

THis is Amy from MPT and I would like to thank everyone who posted such nice things about our school. I would also like to thank everyone who did not, we appreciate all comments and as part of our Quality Managment System are always looking for ways to improve for you! I wanted to take a few minutes and let everyone know that where you go to school is a personal choice. IYT Fort Lauderdale and MPT Fort Lauderdale have begun working together to ensure the betterment of the industry. We attend the same professional conferences and work on the MCA Yacht Qualifications Panel together to make sure that your voice is heard by the MCA. If we don't have a class you need, we will contact Mike at IYT for you and see if they can help, and vice versa. It is our collective goal to make sure that while your vessel is in Fort Lauderdale, you are able to receive the best training possible in a friendly and knowledgable atmosphere. Both schools are looking for ways to make the curriculum as relevant as possible to the yachting industry whilst still being applicable to the MCA and USCG exams and IMO Conventions. We are also working hard to make sure that schedules fit with yacht schedules and it was this hard work that led to the SQA now allowing schools to set exam and training dates to accommodate the industry. Win Win for all yacht engineers worldwide! Long Story short, both schools are working hard to provide high quality training at affordable rates and convenient schedules. Both schools have very involved management staff that care about your success. You will not be a number at either school. Both schools have MCA and USCG approved instructors and work with UK colleges for their examinations. When trying to decide which school to go to, contact both schools and see which one is better for you personally. Some people drink Coke some drink Pepsi. Please let me know if I can help you with anything. Sincerely, Amy Beavers
Mike French
Posted: Tuesday, August 3, 2010 10:19 PM

Here Here! Amy

We at IYT Fort Lauderdale are continually striving to improve our courses and constructive criticism is always considered carefully.  Whilst we fully understand the loyalty of students toward their chosen training providers it is genuinely the case that we all seek to deliver the best possible learning experience. 

Lauderdale has the yachts, jobs, beaches, weather, shopping and theme parks just up the road. IYT and MPT are working together to make training options in here convenient, viable and comparable with anywhere else in the world.

That said, it is almost certainly the case that IYT has better coffee.

Average 0 out of 5