Welcome to the Dockwalk.com Forum

In order to post a comment in one of the forum topics, you must log in or sign up. Your display name will appear next to your posts unless you check the Post Anonymously box. When writing a post, please follow our forum guidelines. If you come across a post that you would like us to review, use the Report Post button. Please note the opinions shared in the forums do not necessarily reflect the views of Dockwalk.

RSS Feed Print
running a yacht
newtoyachts
Posted: Sunday, May 23, 2010 7:27 PM

I am looking at getting into yachting, and want to do research before I do.

Where could I find a lit of required safety equipment for a US flagged yacht about 88 feet long, under 100 tons?  What about maintenance and upkeep checklists?  Safety drills, etc... 

Thanks!

Steve

Henning
Posted: Monday, May 24, 2010 2:17 AM

From what you have written, I'm assuming you are looking to get into yachting at the ownership level rather than as crew.

You can start by looking here for official info. The USCG's website isn't the easiest to navigate, but it's okay.
http://www.uscgboating.org/

Chapman's is a pretty standard text for boating and has a lot of information;
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1588160890/titletrader-20

As for maint checklists, those are pretty much customized to every vessel depending on what equipment there is. A rule of thumb that is reasonably accurate that is given to new owners is to budget 10% of the cost of the vessel for annual operations.

An 88' boat (anything over about 72' really) you'll be best off to hire at least one permanent crew member be it a captain/engineer or deck/engineer if you are planning to drive. If you plan to use the boat a considerable bit with family and guests on board, hiring a Captain/Engineer & Chef/Stew couple often provides a good value. The maintenance schedule in reality is "constant", there is always something that needs to be done and if you hire in contractors to do all of it, it'll be more expensive than hiring crew. Also, when you have a crewed vessel you actually get to spend time with your family and guests rather than driving and fixing the boat.

Drills are like maint schedules, they are customized to the boat due to various types and locations of equipment. One drill a week is a good thing, be it fire, man overboard, abandon ship.... New guests should always get a basic safety briefing as to where their life jacket is, where the muster points are for emergencies, where the fire extinguisher and emergency flashlight in their cabin is, and what their expected duties in an emergency will be (typically go to one of the muster stations with their life jacket on, or as a spotter in a Man Overboard).

If you have any specific questions, feel free to drop an e-mail, caphenning@yahoo.com

stephen
Posted: Wednesday, May 26, 2010 2:54 PM

Small question, very big answer.......... If you have not already, go charter a boat in the size range for a week or two. Will give you an opportunity to spend time with a captain and ask as many questions as you like. This would probably be the most unbiased advice you can get. I have run boats between 70ft and 100ft for the last 9 years. Drop me an email and I will happily answer any questions. stephen_janice@hotmail.com Good Luck

Average 3 out of 5