Welcome to the Dockwalk.com Forum

In order to post a comment in one of the forum topics, you must log in or sign up. Your display name will appear next to your posts unless you check the Post Anonymously box. When writing a post, please follow our forum guidelines. If you come across a post that you would like us to review, use the Report Post button. Please note the opinions shared in the forums do not necessarily reflect the views of Dockwalk.

RSS Feed Print
how much money should i have saved before moving?
haleyd79
Posted: Saturday, May 22, 2010 5:43 PM

what does everyone recommend as far as how much money i should save up before i move to fort lauderdale? i only have a couple thousand right now and something tells me that is NOT going to cut it! i keep getting a lot of negative feedback when i talk to crew houses or agencies, that are telling me that stews are not in demand lately (meaning in the past year or two) and it's really hard to find work. i don't want to get discouraged before i even go, but i know i need to think about how much money i will need in order to survive before i find work! sooo, any suggestions?! thanks!
Henning
Posted: Sunday, May 23, 2010 3:56 PM

Figure you're going to need a minimum, minimum, of $300 a week, that's living pretty frugally. I haven't really worried about money in a long time though. It always seems that when I need money, something comes up that provides money. You also have another advantage over many of the other stews looking for work in the industry in SoFla, you're American so you can work in jobs that are onshore as well. There are ancillary industry jobs that provide goods and services to yachts that can get you in front of a lot of people and on a lot of boats. I'd say if you have $2000-$3000 in your pocket and a reliable car when you get there, you'll be ok.

haleyd79
Posted: Sunday, May 23, 2010 5:20 PM

phew! that's good to hear. i'll have about $5000 and my car is definitely reliable! of course i'm going to have to rent a storage unit which sucks but hopefully i can find one down there that won't break the bank. i'm hoping to get down there in the next couple months so i still have to time to save up even more money and get some more bills paid off! i'm so excited... i can't wait to get started!!
Henning
Posted: Monday, May 24, 2010 3:21 AM

There is no such thing as "cheap storage" in SoFla. Storage is a license to print money, best business there is, that and parking lots. Don't bring anything you don't need (sell it before you leave for some extra $$$). You can bring a limited amount of excess as long as you can fit it into your car, then store your car while you're gone (if it's worth storing. I have a small trailer in a storage yard parking spot that costs me $110 a month). If you are leaving on a years contract, you're better off selling the car rather than storing it outside in the SoFla climate, it's brutal on cars, and sitting there a year, you'll need to do a few hundred dollars worth of work to it when you get back. If you do decide to store it, make sure you put some Sta-bil or other fuel stabilizer through it and have the fog the cylinders for storage. When I get into SoFla for any planned extended stay, I just buy a crappy $1000 car and give it to someone who needs it when I'm done with it.

haleyd79
Posted: Monday, May 24, 2010 5:39 PM

my car is definitely worth storing. i wouldn't sell it and i certainly don't want it getting destroyed by the sofla climate. i'll have to find some sort of storage for it but i really should be able to fit anything else that i take down to fort lauderdale with me, in to the car when i store it! if my parents weren't selling their house and moving to a cabin in michigan, i would store my stuff there! but alas, they are moving and now i must figure out what's important enough to take with me and what i'm giving the heave-ho to!!
Kate
Posted: Monday, May 24, 2010 10:20 PM

I used to store my car in Fort Lauderdale for up to six months at a time and I never had any problems. All you need is a car cover and a new battery so it will start after not being used for months. And once you have a job and need storage, you'll have the money to pay for it. You can usually get the first month free at many places or two months at half price. Good luck in your job search.
junior
Posted: Tuesday, May 25, 2010 8:24 AM

If you want to control cash burn then leave all your junk at home . A Car ? Ive been on yachts my whole life and have never owned one...Ive never had a crew who had a car. The requirement for a yacht crew is to be instantly mobile , flexible and travel light. Its also much cheaper. Get a cheap push bike and join the rest of us.
haleyd79
Posted: Tuesday, May 25, 2010 3:22 PM

i'm not just going to up and sell my car. i love my car and i'm sure at some point i will be glad i still have it! it's totally paid off so really insurance is all i'll be worrying about! i can't leave everything at home because my parents are selling their house and moving in to a cabin... no room for all my crap. i won't take anything i can't store in my car though!! and who knows, i may realize after a few months that i DON'T need or want my car and just sell it. but i don't want to do something like that and then realize i'm not finding any work and have no money and no car!
Anonymous
Posted: Tuesday, May 25, 2010 7:05 PM
Hi there ive been in the south of france for 3 months looking for work, i do have a car back in the uk actually in wales close to the sea ive got to the stage that i wont ever need my car again. As when i do eventually head back to the horrid uk i can just pick up either something cheap and cheerful or just hire a car because i wont stay in the uk for a long period of time if i can help it
Anonymous
Posted: Wednesday, May 26, 2010 12:36 PM
Good idea to hold on to your car. If you do end up with a home port in the US that your boat sees for a good chunk of the year, you'll certainly appreciate it then!
Anonymous
Posted: Wednesday, May 26, 2010 1:28 PM
If you get a job on a boat that takes you out of Florida and the boat does not intend to return to Florida, what will you do about your car? Remember, hurricane season starts next month, it's not exactly the best time to be heading to Lauderdale to look for work if you are brand new. I'd suggest leaving your car with your parents if you can, or at least have a plan in place for someone to come get your car if you land a job that will take you out of Florida. If you are offered a job and then start talking about having to get your personal effects in order before you can leave, then you may find that the offer gets recanted. NEWBIES SHOULD BE TOTALLY MOBILE. If you are serious about working on a boat, you need to be ready to leave for anywhere on the globe at a moment's notice.
rodsteel
Posted: Wednesday, May 26, 2010 3:16 PM

Haley,

In addition, if I understand the "dockwalk environment" in the Ft. Lauderdale area, the crew houses, agents, docks and "watering holes" are all very close together (usually within walking distance or a short bus ride). The taxi from the airport should cost less than $15 and the bus system is supposed to be reasonable.

Therefore I would recommend you store your car where your parents can take care of it for you. Once you are employed you can then decide if further action is needed.

Rod

Diemphuc (Natasha) Pham
Posted: Wednesday, May 26, 2010 5:28 PM

im in the similar situation. thank you haley for that question. newbies must be mobile at a moments notice! yikes! my money situation is short and im still in philadelphia! haha good luck on your job search. I think i'll be staying in philly until i get a job offer and then take a flight down to florida and sell all my stuff. moving to florida and then finding a job sounds a bit uneasy. It's hard enough sittin up north and trying to apply for a position let alone live in Florida. good question haley!

Anonymous
Posted: Wednesday, May 26, 2010 7:14 PM

Hi Haley,

I disagree with everyone who says don't bring your car. Yes, you can get by without one, but it's hot here in summer; walking, buying a push bike and biking and taking the bus are a real pain. It's much nicer with a car. There's a lot of daywork going now and it's great to have a car as the work can stretch from the shipyards on SR84 to the marinas up to Sunrise Blvd and sometimes I have to daywork in Lighthouse Point or Miami - no way am i taking public transport there! Fort Lauderdale is a good place for a car and if you have to leave in a day's notice you can find storage same day - just research it when you get here so you can leave your car quickly if necessary. and if you get a job based anywhere in South Florida, you'll be needing your car.

Henning
Posted: Wednesday, May 26, 2010 7:49 PM

No, when one is "Looking" in So Fla, one needs to have a car. Day work can take you from Palm Beach to South Beach and if you have a set of wheels to run to the store in, so much the better. Even just in Ft Lauderdale, the boat yards are spread out all over the place, and then there's yachts behind houses everywhere. You will need your wheels for now.

Anonymous
Posted: Thursday, May 27, 2010 9:40 PM
Having 'done' a season in Fort L. with a push bike, I can say that very often when you are staying in a crew house, especially a good one like Dwight & DJ's, the Captain's and Chief Stew's show up looking for day workers and potential crew and networking with people at the crew agencies, crew bar's and agency parties should get you a job if you have the right certification which will also set you back at least $2000 (STCW, ENG 1 and a Stewardess Course if you don't have a solid hospitality background) and of course, the right attitude. You should find it relatively easy being a US citizen as boats are open to you that are closed to the English speaking foreign nationals that will be there too. ***The car will be useful but most are fine without it and the biking will get you fit. You can always take the bus to the beach if you are too hung over to walk! We are talking about life in a crew house here and it can really be party time if you are up for it - do you always want to be the designated driver? Because that's what will happen. Good Luck
haleyd79
Posted: Wednesday, June 2, 2010 3:58 PM

okay, so it sounds like keeping my car is DEFINITELY the route to take. i think i said this already, but i'll say it again my parents are selling their house and moving to our lake cabin in michigan. keeping my car with them is NOT an option. i will find storage... that's the best option. if i find a job that keeps me out of SoFla for a long period of time, i'll decide then what to do with it!  i'm not planning on moving down to fort lauderdale until september, but to the anonymous person that posted last regarding the certifications.... i have already taken the STCW '95 and the stewardess class so no money will go in to that!

Average 0 out of 5