Welcome to the Dockwalk.com Forum

In order to post a comment in one of the forum topics, you must log in or sign up. Your display name will appear next to your posts unless you check the Post Anonymously box. When writing a post, please follow our forum guidelines. If you come across a post that you would like us to review, use the Report Post button. Please note the opinions shared in the forums do not necessarily reflect the views of Dockwalk.

RSS Feed Print
Crossing to the Caribbean?
Neal
Posted: Thursday, May 13, 2010 7:23 PM

At the age of 31 I have implemented a career change and will join the many and probably much younger hopeful deckies on the docks soon. I’m fit, hardworking and easy to get on with so I’m not worried about the age thing but my question is where should I start Med or Caribbean?

I could get to the Med early July when I’m sure most of the positions will have been filled, or do I bide my time and head to FTL early for the Caribbean season?

If I were to go to the Med and not be fortunate enough to get a paying position what are the chances of “hitching a ride” to the Caribbean at the end of the season? A working delivery type arrangement.

Thanks guys, advice will be appreciated.

Anonymous
Posted: Saturday, May 15, 2010 4:24 PM
I am in the same position. I'm 29 years old and extremely bored/frustrated with my current career. I am working to the end of my current job contract and then hope to have saved enough money to be able to quit and look for a job on the boats. I've already taken courses and received my STCW95 certifications, but I'm not sure what the probability of getting into yachting would be as an older "totally green" deckhand.
Anonymous
Posted: Monday, May 17, 2010 5:21 AM
I don't understand why you are even asking these questions. If I said you are wasting your time would you give up? Why do you need reassurance from strangers? I flew to France at 31 and joined a yacht. I am still in the industry. I am a chick. Theoretically it is more difficult for chicks. Just get on with it. And listen. And learn all the time. And be humble. Nobody likes a novice with rockstar attitude. Good luck.

Average 0 out of 5