Welcome to the Dockwalk.com Forum

In order to post a comment in one of the forum topics, you must log in or sign up. Your display name will appear next to your posts unless you check the Post Anonymously box. When writing a post, please follow our forum guidelines. If you come across a post that you would like us to review, use the Report Post button. Please note the opinions shared in the forums do not necessarily reflect the views of Dockwalk.

RSS Feed Print
Savings
Shefsteel
Posted: Saturday, May 1, 2010 9:05 AM

Hi, I know this may be a bit of an open question but lets say your a deckhand based in western Med earning a basic salary of 24000 Euros food accom all paid for how much of this would you put aside? i hear a lot of stories about crew drinking buying lavish gifts etc but if you really wanted to save how much could you realistically save, 20 30 50%? 

Henning
Posted: Saturday, May 1, 2010 10:27 AM

Lets say you want to save, but still, you need to go out a bit. Yachts are nice in that all our required expenses are covered. Figure you spend 200 euros a week on having a few drinks and a couple normal meals out, that's 10,400 Euros, so that's setting aside about 57% of your earnings without being a total hermit. There will be some other expenses, a new computer every couple of years, phone bill...that'll eat up the other 7%... Avoid the temptation to buy the big shiny watch (although I do suggest you splurge on high quality sunglasses, your eye's are worth protecting, I get Maui Jim's) and the "party every night" trappings and you should be able to comfortably tuck away 50%.

junior
Posted: Saturday, May 1, 2010 11:24 AM

Yah..take Hennings advice on eye wear, , I have glass eyes from 40 years of UV damage. Cash ? 50 percent savings is achievable. Perhaps 30 percent goes out the door for tax burden , health insurance and documents, 10 percent on cheap meals and cheap beer, then another ten percent falls out of your pocket chasing stewardess's. Best advised to skip over the boat chicks and invest in favours from a real girl who owns a house , car and works for Goldman Saks...........

Average 0 out of 5